help me choose a sprocket size

13 replies to this topic
  • fortified

Posted July 16, 2008 - 08:17 PM

I have a stock 07 yz450f and have been having trouble on tight tails and hills, I was told to maby change the front sprocket down a tooth and I am looking for advice. I ride mostly trails. Any setup suggestions for this for off road also appreciated.

• grayracer513

Posted July 16, 2008 - 08:21 PM

You already have a 13 tooth on the front. I wouldn't run anything smaller because it's hard on the chain to do so. Instead, go to a 51 or 52 in the rear.

• alstar250

Posted July 16, 2008 - 08:29 PM

What kind of "trouble" are you having? Stalling? Traction? Perhaps as many have recommended, a heavier flywheel might solve some of these issues.

• LoopyJones82

Posted July 16, 2008 - 08:34 PM

i suggest switching both sprockets out (front and rear wear at practically the same rate) and replacing the front with a renthal 13 tooth and the rear with a renthal 51 tooth. remember, you will most likely have to change the chain out as well because of the different number of teeth. i recommend a D.I.D. x-ring chain.

hope ive been helpful :thumbsup:

• LoopyJones82

Posted July 16, 2008 - 08:38 PM

P.S. by purchasing the larger rear sprocket you will boost low end pull, reduce stalling (in fact, you should be able to let the bike pull itself without gas and without slipping the clutch; just let it idle in first), and you will get better overall traction. now im done lol

• fortified

Posted July 16, 2008 - 08:50 PM

I have been having traction problems and I have had to really feather the clutch on the tight stuff. I also over heat when I can't keep the speed up.

• fortified

Posted July 16, 2008 - 08:51 PM

I counted today and thought I had 14 teeth.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • honda123

Posted July 16, 2008 - 08:54 PM

i suggest switching both sprockets out (front and rear wear at practically the same rate) and replacing the front with a renthal 13 tooth and the rear with a renthal 51 tooth. remember, you will most likely have to change the chain out as well because of the different number of teeth. i recommend a D.I.D. x-ring chain.

this is what i use on my crf450r.. and its great.. this guy knows what he is talking about

• fortified

Posted July 16, 2008 - 09:38 PM

How does changing my sprocket affect chain size and how do you know which to choose.

• grayracer513

Posted July 17, 2008 - 05:56 AM

I have been having traction problems and I have had to really feather the clutch on the tight stuff. I also over heat when I can't keep the speed up.

Lowering the gearing will not improve traction. Only throttle and clutch conrtol will do that. It will mean you can use the clutch a bit less often, though. As for heat, you do have to keep moving.

I counted today and thought I had 14 teeth.

Not unless someone changed it. Stock is 13/49.

How does changing my sprocket affect chain size and how do you know which to choose.

Each tooth will move the axle position about 5/32" (4mm), so installing a 52 should scoot it forward 15/32, or about 12mm. You should be able to use a stock length of 114, but I normally buy chains in 120 and cut them down to fit the way I want.

• bigred455

Posted July 17, 2008 - 10:07 AM

The real way of getting rid of that is a flywheel weight. Few more bucks than a rear sprocket,but the real way of taking care of your problem.

• WB450

Posted July 17, 2008 - 12:51 PM

I ride mostly the same thing, I went to a 52 in the rear. I also went with the heavy GYTR flywheel.

• alstar250

Posted July 17, 2008 - 07:19 PM

I don't know about you...but I've NEVER has a rear sprocket wear as long as the front, especially using Renthals. The only time I switch the front is to change gearing.

• grayracer513

Posted July 17, 2008 - 08:29 PM

If you use a high quality chain that doesn't stretch so much that it requires an adjustment every other ride or more, and almost any good rear sprocket other than Renthal, the sprockets will wear roughly at similar rates. When I replaced the 22 month old Regina on my son's bike, the two OEM sprockets were ready to go, too. But one lasted as long as the other.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.