WR street legal in CA?

24 replies to this topic
  • nickt916

Posted July 16, 2008 - 05:49 PM

I always wanted to legalize a WR in CA... I used to hear about people doubt it and reading about it, but I had a yz250f 06 so being a red sucked, I just sold it few days ago. I also had a DRz400sm I loved it but also hated it because it didn't feel like home.

So now that I'm looking into getting a WR are there certain years you can legalize? I'm thinking about getting 07-09 still got time to wonder.

• Birdy426

Posted July 16, 2008 - 10:18 PM

Not in Cali...at least not legally and reliably. After Feb 04 the DMV started to enforce the CARB requirement that all stret licensed bikes meet, and be certified, on hiway emmissions standards. Your best bet is to buy a used already plated bike that was plated before Feb 04, buy a Husky or KTM, or plate out of state. You can check out Joe Racer in San Jose...they plate by the "special construction" loop hole, but I understand they are pricey.

• nickt916

Posted July 17, 2008 - 01:40 AM

i knew i was getting to excited for nothing!

is this the place? http://www.joeracerproducts.com/

i just emailed them, curious to see what they would say.

• CAVSCOUT96

Posted July 17, 2008 - 08:45 AM

Nick,

If you're willing to go used and titled out of state... there is a '99 WR400 in the TT classifieds.

• trailhead2004

Posted July 17, 2008 - 09:56 AM

I always wanted to legalize a WR in CA... I used to hear about people doubt it and reading about it, but I had a yz250f 06 so being a red sucked, I just sold it few days ago. I also had a DRz400sm I loved it but also hated it because it didn't feel like home.

So now that I'm looking into getting a WR are there certain years you can legalize? I'm thinking about getting 07-09 still got time to wonder.

Find the right dealer. I just bought a 2008 WR450 from a dealer in CA and received the plate about 3 weeks later. :thumbsup: I've talked to a few dealers about it and the response is not unanimous. Some say they can do it and others say they can't.

trailhead2004

• nickt916

Posted July 17, 2008 - 11:07 AM

Find the right dealer. I just bought a 2008 WR450 from a dealer in CA and received the plate about 3 weeks later. :thumbsup: I've talked to a few dealers about it and the response is not unanimous. Some say they can do it and others say they can't.

trailhead2004

i dont understand, how do i find the right dealer, what do i ask them or tell them? because the sales manager at the place where i bought my yamaha is a friend of mine and he always hooks me up with stuff and even sold me the bike for an awesome price, but i thought its the DMV that says if i can plate or not to plate, dealer just puts your name on the title?

or can they put the street legal junk on for you and tell DMV that it IS legal??

im looking for a 07-08 WR used or new, but depends which one would be easier to plate, and obviously new would be a better choice because i might get a little discount on it as well.

• trailhead2004

Posted July 17, 2008 - 01:51 PM

Just have your dealer do the paperwork. Like I said, some dealers say it can't be done but me and three of my buddies are testimony that it can be done.

Hell, I even called my insurance company, Geico, and they said no problem.

AFAIK, The issue is surrounding the VIN# and that one digit in there tells DMV that it's a Smog Legal Bike. I would have your dealer friend check in with his DMV person if he has one and at least give it a try. Tell him something like, "If you can get a plate on it, I'll buy it."

I'm just saying that it can be done.

trailhead2004 :thumbsup:

• Birdy426

Posted July 17, 2008 - 09:51 PM

The plates issued by the dealers in violation of the laws are the ones that are easiest for CARB and the DMV to review...and are the ones getting pulled...

• nickt916

Posted July 18, 2008 - 01:01 AM

Just have your dealer do the paperwork. Like I said, some dealers say it can't be done but me and three of my buddies are testimony that it can be done.

Hell, I even called my insurance company, Geico, and they said no problem.

AFAIK, The issue is surrounding the VIN# and that one digit in there tells DMV that it's a Smog Legal Bike. I would have your dealer friend check in with his DMV person if he has one and at least give it a try. Tell him something like, "If you can get a plate on it, I'll buy it."

I'm just saying that it can be done.

trailhead2004 :thumbsup:

do you know what digit it would be? ill try and see what i can dig up from the dealer... but didnt your dealer have to put on all the street legal junk to give you the plate? didnt DMV have to inspect it? or do you just get a plate and have to put on turn signals and all the DOT junk yourself, you can still ride on street just at your own risk of getting fix it tickets?

• trailhead2004

Posted July 18, 2008 - 06:50 AM

do you know what digit it would be? ill try and see what i can dig up from the dealer... but didnt your dealer have to put on all the street legal junk to give you the plate? didnt DMV have to inspect it? or do you just get a plate and have to put on turn signals and all the DOT junk yourself, you can still ride on street just at your own risk of getting fix it tickets?

It doesn't matter what digit it is, that's not your problem.

And no, they didn't do any of the lighting or horn or anything like that for me. If I wanted to ride it on the street, it was my problem to get the lighting and other stuff up to snuff. That may be skirting the laws of selling a road-worthy vehicle, but it worked for me.

And Birdy, the bike meets smog regulations so unless I take off the smog gear, CARB can't say crap! Enough of the negativity, man. :thumbsdn: The bike is sold new from the dealer with a license plate. If DMV was going to review it, they would do it at the time of application. It sounds to me like you just want to keep the plates for yourself and not share the fun. :naughty:

I'm tired of this thread, either find a dealer who will plate it or get a different bike, jeez!

trailhead2004

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dube2

Posted July 18, 2008 - 11:15 AM

Get the bike you want mostly a green sticker WR. Buy the Baja Designs kit, they will give you all the paperwork needed to take to DMV. A few forms to fill out and don't jimmy with the vin and engine numbers. get MC insurance, the pink slip will help too, tell DMV that you will pay the green sticker fees every two years and the plate fees avery year and you have a real good chance on getting it done. The dealers are changing the eigth digit in the vin number to trick DMV on the street leagal thing. They are the ones that I've heard get the plates pulled. Fill out the forms and submit.

• KennyMc

Posted July 18, 2008 - 01:28 PM

It doesn't matter what digit it is, that's not your problem.

And no, they didn't do any of the lighting or horn or anything like that for me. If I wanted to ride it on the street, it was my problem to get the lighting and other stuff up to snuff. That may be skirting the laws of selling a road-worthy vehicle, but it worked for me.

And Birdy, the bike meets smog regulations so unless I take off the smog gear, CARB can't say crap! Enough of the negativity, man. :thumbsup: The bike is sold new from the dealer with a license plate. If DMV was going to review it, they would do it at the time of application. It sounds to me like you just want to keep the plates for yourself and not share the fun. :thumbsup:

I'm tired of this thread, either find a dealer who will plate it or get a different bike, jeez!

trailhead2004

What smog regulations does it meet?

BTW - love my plate.:thumbsup:

• Birdy426

Posted July 18, 2008 - 09:09 PM

And Birdy, the bike meets smog regulations so unless I take off the smog gear, CARB can't say crap!

I'll ignore the rest of the smack, and just post up that the bike meets OFF ROAD emmisions requiremnts, and hence gets a green sticker. If it didn't, it would get a red sticker. It may very well meet California On Highway Emissions standards, but Yamaha has not done the testing required to certify that it does, so no on highway emissions sticker and hence no legal path to plate in Cali. Not trying to be negative, just factual. As far as getting a plate, lots of folks have been successful getting a "mail box address" in Nv or AZ and using it as the address to plate their bikes. Bring on the plates, the more the merrier.

• Demo_Slug

Posted July 19, 2008 - 03:46 PM

friday, I emailed trick dual sport, I asked them if I bought thier kit, could I plate my 08WR in calironia.

http://www.trickdualsport.com/

they are in CA, so I figure they would know what the deal is.

[COLOR="Red"]they said "NO, and it has nothing to do with our kit".[/COLOR]

:thumbsup:

• William1

Posted July 19, 2008 - 06:57 PM

As I understand it after reading many threads and talking to a bunch of people, sure, you can get a plate, you may even be able to keep it but do not be surprised if the plate gets pulled. CA DMV goes through the records, really no idea how, definitely not by computer. I suspect some poor putz is in a dank basement, looking at paperwork.

Ever though about having it registered as 'farm equipment'? Those guys can drive anything on the road.

Another ;rumor' I have heard if a plated 49 state vehicle is brough to CA with over 7,500 miles on it(I think) it can skirt some of the rules, though it would be a shame to run a WR that much on the road just to use a loophole. Just another thought

• KennyMc

Posted July 19, 2008 - 07:40 PM

As I understand it after reading many threads and talking to a bunch of people, sure, you can get a plate, you may even be able to keep it but do not be surprised if the plate gets pulled. CA DMV goes through the records, really no idea how, definitely not by computer. I suspect some poor putz is in a dank basement, looking at paperwork.

Ever though about having it registered as 'farm equipment'? Those guys can drive anything on the road.

Another ;rumor' I have heard if a plated 49 state vehicle is brough to CA with over 7,500 miles on it(I think) it can skirt some of the rules, though it would be a shame to run a WR that much on the road just to use a loophole. Just another thought

Get a speedometer off of another bike and adapt it:excuseme:

• William1

Posted July 19, 2008 - 09:24 PM

Get a speedometer off of another bike and adapt it:excuseme:

LOL, that might work if my understanding of CA law is at all accurate.

Reminds me of a story, A kid worked for a movie producer. The producer wanted an empty milk bottle. The kid went all over town, only could find full ones. After two days, he told the producer he could not locate one. The producer went to the craft services table, grabbed a full bottle of milk and dumped it on the ground......

• nickt916

Posted July 20, 2008 - 07:39 PM

i just emailed a few dealers around north CA area that are selling their new WRs at about $6500 OTD about the plates maybe ill get some answers.

• Dube2

Posted July 21, 2008 - 12:06 PM

What smog regulations does it meet?

BTW - love my plate.:thumbsup:

YOU DAWG!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Jealousy............

I'm officially ready,:thumbsup: :bonk: just need to put the fund$ together and bite the bullit.

• trailhead2004

Posted July 21, 2008 - 03:18 PM

friday, I emailed trick dual sport, I asked them if I bought thier kit, could I plate my 08WR in calironia.

http://www.trickdualsport.com/

they are in CA, so I figure they would know what the deal is.

[COLOR="Red"]they said "NO, and it has nothing to do with our kit".[/COLOR]

:thumbsup:

And they would be correct. Getting the plate isn't about the lights, it's about the smog. I see the lights as there only to avoid getting the ticket.

trailhead2004

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.