So now I know why Zip-Ty sells fuel screws...

6 replies to this topic
  • kz2zx

Posted July 16, 2008 - 05:25 PM

Recap: you'll remember I bought a YZ426 to make into a dualsport/'tard for messing around town on.

Had issues with the lighting kit, but got it sorted. Then issues with other stuff, got most of it sorted.

Bike wouldn't pull cleanly midrange. Thought I might have timing issues, or grounding issues or something... Classic rundown: air, fuel, spark. I went back and rechecked fuel today...

Freeing the carb to adjust fuel screws is nuts. Zip-ty will sell another tonight... the bike was running rich. Dropping the needle, raising the clip two notches and it runs better - there's only one more notch.

For grins, I'll try the next leaner needle and get the next two leaner jets. I'm at 16-1800 feet, running stock EKR and 162 jet. I may race this bike (on a roadrace course, not motocross, with 17" wheels) at 4200 feet, hence the leaner jets. I think I have enough range with cooler weather on this needle to get it right for winter (I'm in Phoenix).

The other thing is I've got a stock beat-up exhaust, and I probably will want to run an arrestor in there for the AZ and US land I want to go ride. That'll probably make me want to go slightly leaner, too.

Fun fun... still haven't run errand one or even really left my neighborhood on this bike. Soon.

• kz2zx

Posted July 16, 2008 - 09:51 PM

You all realize that I'm eternally grateful to every person who's posted a mod or experience here, right?

I went with a JD Jetting kit and the JD mixture screw instead of the OEM Yamaha parts - for one thing, the oem.thumpertalk store doesn't list the needles. And I took to heart the warnings on the Zip-Ty screw.

• William1

Posted July 17, 2008 - 02:28 AM

Fuel screws in order of preference
Merge Racing Brass (from TT store or Merge)
Kouba Brass (James Dean has these)
Kienteh Stainless Steel (James Dean has these)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Windseeker

Posted July 17, 2008 - 05:18 AM

I got three Ride Eng screws (dont ask me why there are three of them)

Do not do their job - not adjusting - just not correct proportions of the tip area, messes the rubber ring etc. They all live in the toolbox now with the OEM screw in place. :thumbsup:

• Ga450owner

Posted July 17, 2008 - 05:35 AM

Zipty Fuel screws are the only ones that I have used for years and no problems period. IMO the problems with any of them are with the ones installing them incorrectly:excuseme: Unless the tolerances are off in the first place

• William1

Posted July 17, 2008 - 05:59 AM

ZipTy and the other alloy screws work, but because of the non-oem tip shape, you have to go down one or two sizes in pilot jet. Why buy a $20 screw and have to spend an additional $12 on jets? Also, being it is soft alloy and has a bit of a taper to it, some who twist it too hard, have had the tip break off in the carb, permently damaging the carb. They can work but the reasons not to want them are significant.

• grayracer513

Posted July 17, 2008 - 06:02 AM

Some manufacturers do seem to be a little careless about the shape of the tip. :thumbsup: I can't cite any by name, but it's come up before.

I have two Zip-Ty's, and the only thing I found with them is that the spring they are supplied with is not strong enough to hold them in place. I use teh stock springs with mine and have no problem.

Related Content

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  57 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.