Gotta Pea shooter?

7 replies to this topic
  • sandfarmer

Posted July 16, 2008 - 09:46 AM

Hey guys, I too am new to this site and to Yamaha. Just came home last night with a 2001 WR426f. I'm new to off road bikes (of the 2 wheel variety) and figure I'm gonna take it easy running around on the field roads and turn rows on the farm before I take to the trails! The "pea shooter" has been removed and for riding around here it's just too loud. I know I would probably take it out for serious trail riding but for what I want to do starting out I'd rather it be muffled more, where can I come up with one? Anyone got one laying around they would want to get rid of? From what I can tell baffle removal is the only mod that's been done, air box looks stock. From what little I rode it this morning it does seem to suffer from the dreaded off idle bog, but boy is she a handful! I can't imagine this thing if it were modded! Thanks for the help!

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted July 17, 2008 - 08:04 AM

If you can't find one, I recommend getting a GYT-R insert. They are about 40 bucks. Much quieter than a completely uncorked exhaust and still plenty of power.

• sandfarmer

Posted July 17, 2008 - 06:48 PM

Thanks man! I did some checking into it and it looks like just what the doctor ordered. :thumbsup: Fixing to hunt down where to get one now...

• kjr247

Posted July 18, 2008 - 03:43 PM

Yeah, I did the GYTR insert and it works nice and is less expensive than a exhaust.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • byggd

Posted July 19, 2008 - 03:35 AM

I have one of these for my 02. Works nice when I want to quiet it down.
http://www.promotobi.../products_id/49

• sandfarmer

Posted July 19, 2008 - 09:34 AM

Thanks, that looks good too and is reasonably priced. I ordered the gytr insert the other day and am anxious to get it and try it out!

• C-P

Posted July 24, 2008 - 05:54 PM

I'm sure my '07 is different, but I can't see how just removing the pea shooter would make the bike too loud. I've got a buddy with the GYT-R insert on his '03 and it's way louder than my '07 w/just a pea shooter removed. I would look to see whether the pipe has been gutted and/or needs to be repacked. Otherwise, I have a bone stock exhaust off a '98 you could have for the shipping $$.

• sandfarmer

Posted July 25, 2008 - 04:57 AM

Thanks, your offer is much appreciated but my gytr insert came in yesterday. I put it in and the bike is soooooo much quieter! I am very happy with the sound level now, not harsh and closer to stock noise level. I'm happy with it for sure, thanks for all the input and suggestions guys! :ride:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.