Oil filter direction?

7 replies to this topic
  • arcboy

Posted July 15, 2008 - 06:26 PM

On my 01 WR426 I don't remember which way I took the oil filter out in my last oil change and I don't know which way the filter goes.

The manual shows the filter but really can't tell which end is which in the diagrams.

Does the end with the hole goes towards the inside or the outside of the motor. Hopefully it makes sense. I would assume there is a incorrect installation.

Thanks for helping out my retarded side of my brain.

• atitagain

Posted July 15, 2008 - 08:14 PM

I can't speak with excperience with the 426, but my 07 450 has a "tab" sticking out on the oil filter cover. that "tab" goes into the filter. I don't know if this info is any use to your bike though. good luck

• ETP

Posted July 15, 2008 - 08:24 PM

On my 01 WR426 I don't remember which way I took the oil filter out in my last oil change and I don't know which way the filter goes.

The manual shows the filter but really can't tell which end is which in the diagrams.

Does the end with the hole goes towards the inside or the outside of the motor. Hopefully it makes sense. I would assume there is a incorrect installation.

Thanks for helping out my retarded side of my brain.

I've been puzzled by that too, but if you look at the inside design of the filter cover and look at how the oil should flow thru the filter, it becomes painfully obvious which way it goes. I believe its hole out.

• matt4x4

Posted July 16, 2008 - 04:16 AM

Yes - hole out - the cover doesn't fit the other way because it has a flat tab that slides in the hole and centers the filter when pushed on.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted July 16, 2008 - 07:51 AM

This is true when using the OEM filter cover, and it's by design to prevent the filter being installed backward. If the tab in the cover were not there, installing the filter in the reversed direction would effectively cut off oil flow to the engine by seating the flat base of the filter over the port in the filter cover, which is the path the oil takes to get to all things lubricated.

So, Yamaha wisely has prevented this from happening. Ready Racing, on the other hand, sells their low cost copy of the Scotts stainless oil filter with a poorly made cover that has, among its other defects, no tab in the feed port. Using that cover, the filter can be assembled backward, so those using the RR product need to be aware of that.

• arcboy

Posted July 16, 2008 - 11:24 AM

Oh my lord, I am an idiot! :thumbsup:

I didn't even think of looking on the inside of the cover. Just ignore this topic unless you want a good laugh.

• drtbk4ever

Posted July 17, 2008 - 08:31 AM

Oh my lord, I am an idiot! :thumbsup:

Just ignore this topic unless you want a good laugh.

Hell no.

I ask myself the very same question every time I change the oil filter on my 04. Then I remember it will only go in one way.

• buckwhylin

Posted May 30, 2009 - 02:14 AM

Oh my lord, I am an idiot! :eek:

I didn't even think of looking on the inside of the cover. Just ignore this topic unless you want a good laugh.

Glad you brought this one up iam changing my oil filter for the first time and now at least I know which way it goes!:crazy:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.