71 Honda SL70 Transmission Issue

1 reply to this topic
  • rdarling

Posted July 15, 2008 - 12:06 PM

I have a 71 Honda SL70 that I have owned for 33 years, since I was 14. It runs great but recently it developed a transmission problem. The splines on the kick starter shaft stripped off years ago so we just push start the bike. Without any warning or indication of a problem, I went to start the bike, I pulled in the clutch, put it in gear, started coasting down the driveway and when I released the clutch nothing happened, the bike freewheels. I can feel that there is a little increase in drag and it sounds like something in the tranny is turning but the piston is not moving. Removing the flywheel cover, I can turn the flywheel and the piston moves.
Any ideas? :thumbsup:

Thanks in advance for your help.

• dirtbkr188

Posted July 15, 2008 - 02:55 PM

How did you determine that the piston isn't moving when the trans is in gear, and that the piston is moving when you move the flywheel?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.