YZ426 range

5 replies to this topic
  • M0SSLAGER

Posted July 15, 2008 - 12:30 AM

What kind of range can be expected on a 2001 YZ426? I just picked one up from a friend and would like to do more trail riding then track. I know there are some changes I need to make to adapt it for my use but I didn't want to switch tanks out. So on the stock tank how far can you go before reserve?

• YZRob

Posted July 15, 2008 - 04:54 AM

first thing is the YZ does not have a reserve. I have a 2000 yz426 and I can get about 50 miles on a tank while trail riding. I put a 3.7? clark on mine and it seems to go forever.

• kevin nichols

Posted July 15, 2008 - 05:20 AM

I changed to a 3.3 gallon Clarke tank. Not only did it improve my range but it improved the center of gravity and handling of the bike. The size is almost unnoticable by the rider. I go over a hundred miles without even worrying to fill up.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cowboyona426

Posted July 15, 2008 - 05:41 AM

MOSSLAGER, I think I got somewhere in the 55 mile range on my old 426 with a stock tank once. I would say if you plan on longer than 40-45 mile loops then either pack gas or get a larger tank. I was told you could go 60 miles on a tank if you babied the throttle the whole time- I never had that much self control :thumbsup:

• M0SSLAGER

Posted July 15, 2008 - 06:29 AM

looks like I am borderline. There are two loops I do in my Rhino I'd like to take the bike on and both are 40 mile loops.

• cowboyona426

Posted July 15, 2008 - 08:32 AM

You should be able to make 40 miles on a stock tank. Pack a little gas just in case :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.