Who made this stock tank?

5 replies to this topic
  • Desracer

Posted July 14, 2008 - 09:16 PM

My new 08 has ran out of gas at 42 miles and 38 miles the last couple of weekends. Reserve has made it over 10 miles to get me home, so okay. So today with a flashlight I looked into the tank and it had lots of gas in it?? The petcock is about 3 inches higher than the front part of the tank! I have not yet ran the bike on reserve to see if it will run dry, but what a poor design! So now I want a larger tank that I hope works with my Unabiker rad guards. So guys what works?

• tweav

Posted July 15, 2008 - 02:53 AM

I have the ims 3.1 gal tank . It should suit your needs, but it is a not 100% slamdunk as far as the fit goes .

1: if you use the stock petcock it is backward ether the fuel line faces foward or you install it backward or you get a petcock for a 06 or older steel frame wr

2 : wr rad shrouds do not fit right you ether hog out the hole or use Yz450 shrouds

3 : the seat fitment angle is a bit off . the fix add a washer or two to the front seat mount ,trim the seat pan to match . this is not a have to but it does make it fit better

Posted Image

I've got the yz shrouds but have not trimmed the seat pan yet , but I have spaced it, notice the gap between the tank and seat tapers to nothing . this will give you a few more miles , but rejetting the bike right does about the same . I get around 80 miles woods riding and 120 miles road riding

• SJMC_DON

Posted July 15, 2008 - 07:40 AM

You forgot the most important mod being the 1/2 rack of Sam Adams on the rear rack :thumbsup:

Seriously... IMS 3.1 is on the top of any 07' and newer mod list. I trimmed the key hole in the seat pan and it fits fine with no washers on the tank tab.

IMS works great with sub mount stabilizers and unabiker guards too:prof:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tribalbc

Posted July 15, 2008 - 12:31 PM

+1 on the IMS. It's a great tank with greatly improved range. I also added a washer and trimmed out the keyhole. Seat fit's easy as stock now.
I also have a 1-2" spacer from the shrouds to the Unabiker rad guards Saves some wrestling and you don't have to trim your shrouds :thumbsup:

• Desracer

Posted July 15, 2008 - 02:07 PM

Thanks for the help guys! I ordered a IMS tank today so I could have it for the weekend! I like the fact the rad guards will work. On the stock tank I was able to add a 1/4 inch aluminum spacer under the front mount to increase the point of where I run out of gas at. It helped by 6 miles farther, but If I was racing I would just set it on reserve.

• SJMC_DON

Posted July 15, 2008 - 02:27 PM

Thanks for the help guys! I ordered a IMS tank today so I could have it for the weekend! I like the fact the rad guards will work. On the stock tank I was able to add a 1/4 inch aluminum spacer under the front mount to increase the point of where I run out of gas at. It helped by 6 miles farther, but If I was racing I would just set it on reserve.

Desracer - Your petcock will be relocated forward more on the IMS. A couple different approaches to this problem.

1 - Get a longer fuel line. This works good but in my opinion leaves a lot of extra fuel line hanging out there to get caught on something.

2 - What most of us do at first, install your petcock backwards in the new tank (inside out). This will put the fuel line connection in a position that you can use the stock fuel line and everything is nice and tidy. The only issue here is that the petcock gets a little hard or ackward to operate.

3 - What most of us have eventually ended up doing, is to purchase a WR petcock from a steel framed era WR (06' or older). That will put everything in place as if it was factory:thumbsup:

Good luck, I was getting the same mileage as you with the stock tank especially in the desert. I have since mounted up the tank and leaned out my jetting to a more appropriate settings and I can get 70 - 80 miles no problem:thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.