Updated:2006 yz450f: Found pieces of metal behind ignition cover...(Found Problems)

30 replies to this topic
  • grayracer513

Posted July 17, 2008 - 03:44 PM

#6. The '06 lever is 2S2-18140-00-00. The '07 is 2S2-18140-10-00.

Posted Image

• skidooboy

Posted July 17, 2008 - 04:52 PM

when replacing, order the 07 part number NOT the 06 number. the 07 has eliminated the roller bearing and just has a roller wheel. there is a sticky on the this at the top of the 450 faq page complete with pics. my bearings and cage did the same thing, most were stuck in the magnet on the fly wheel. fished as much as i could out with a magnet, cleaned fly wheel, installed new detent arm, and rode it like i stole it for supermoto. have close to 50 hours on her still runs well. ski

• Justin89

Posted July 17, 2008 - 05:46 PM

yikes Justin how long was this symptom going on? 4/5th into neutral....one ride several rides?
Was this the shift fork or what? I am confused...arm and bearing?

Yeah sorry I dont know the technical terms:bonk: ...but at first when my bike was shifting into neutral, I thought it was my clutch. I knew that my clutch was getting down towards the end of its life so we replaced it. The dropping out a gear had pretty much stopped, (I thought) until my last race when it dropped into neutral off of a tripple...thats when I tok my whole engine in for rebuilding.

• Ga450owner

Posted July 17, 2008 - 05:48 PM

when replacing, order the 07 part number NOT the 06 number. the 07 has eliminated the roller bearing and just has a roller wheel. there is a sticky on the this at the top of the 450 faq page complete with pics. my bearings and cage did the same thing, most were stuck in the magnet on the fly wheel. fished as much as i could out with a magnet, cleaned fly wheel, installed new detent arm, and rode it like i stole it for supermoto. have close to 50 hours on her still runs well. ski

Grey thanks for posting the pic - Is the part number the same for 06/07 ? I was curious if 07 part superceeded 06
and skidooboy you just helped confirm.......I will be doing a tranny/other check soon and this will definitely be upgraded, anything else that should be swapped in there? ...you guys rock :thumbsup:

• Justin89

Posted July 17, 2008 - 05:48 PM

Thanks for the advice on that, I wouldn't have known that.:thumbsup: Most of my bearing cage was stuck to the fly wheel magnets as well.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted July 17, 2008 - 07:31 PM

Grey thanks for posting the pic - Is the part number the same for 06/07 ?

No, it's not. That was a typo (corrected). The '07 part is 2S2-18140-10-00

• Justin89

Posted July 17, 2008 - 09:50 PM

Well the parts order will be going in tommorrow...I'll be sure to order the 07' part and not the 06'. So after this part is replaced, will I experience easier/better shifting or anything like that? Thanks to everyone who helped or replied:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Ga450owner

Posted July 18, 2008 - 10:10 AM

No, it's not. That was a typo (corrected). The '07 part is 2S2-18140-10-00

thanks again Grey....

• kxman

Posted July 18, 2008 - 01:06 PM

I have an 06. Haven't had any trouble with this part but seems like it may be a good idea to replace it with the 07 part. What is involved in swapping out the lever?

• grayracer513

Posted July 18, 2008 - 01:50 PM

It's a bit of a pain. You have to remove the right crankcase cover, and the clutch, then disassemble the shifting ratchet assembly. This is not really very difficult, but it gets a little complicated, and the the ratchet assembly will fall apart at least once while completing the job. Don't lose the little springs and plungers.

• Justin89

Posted July 18, 2008 - 03:01 PM

Well I ordered the 07 part today from MDK...I'll let you know how it goes once I get it...thanks!:thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.