1984 KLR 600 Rebuild (suggestions welcome)

the angle on the light projects straight back and when the wheels are on it has a slight lift in the rear. plenty of clearance from the back wheel. those klr's have a tiny rear tire. not much you can do about it since the swingarm is so thick in the mid section.

• 2 months later...

hi

I got a non running klr cheap and rewired the ignition and charging systems and I have a big fat spark....I have had the carb serviced and rebuilt to spec.....I cant check compression as it has an automatic decompression system....I can kick it over and it fires but not runs the exhaust gets hot my next step is to pull the head off and check valves piston bore have i missed somthing any advice help gratefully recieved thanks

you can check the compression but you have to kick the cr@p out of it. its much easier to check the leakdown. you have to pull the valve cover off and manually disengage the KACR it just flips out of the way put the bike at TDCC. hook up the leakdown tester and listen for air escaping at the intake, exhaust or out the oil fill. much more precise. narrows it to intake or exhaust valve or rings.

your problems sounds like a compression related issue. parts are hard to come buy and i got most of mine from bike bandit... get ready for some back order issues. might be faster to get them from europe. costs a little more but they have the parts on the shelves.

mines still in storage... I need to tackle the cooling system. radiators were shot and i'm not gonna shell out $500 for a new set. might update to a newer system. gotta look around some more. moving out of this apartment soon and getting a house with a garage.? well be back on track in no time.

good luck with the bike. let me know how it goes...

• 9 months later...

Ive given up... Im tired of ordering parts from other countries. I do however have quite the stockpile going on.

almost complete bike up for sell

New 30 over piston with rings custom made (because you cant buy them anymore) from total seal

Acerbis desert tank

all engine internals

seat redone - nice and soft with the 600 on the side. looks good.

modified rear fender off yz250 - looks awesome:thumbsup:

thats just naming a few.

reply to the thread or shoot me an email winth3@hotmail.com

thanks

Brian

If the rotor was off, it's possible that the woodruff key dislodged during the re-install... that puts the timing off. It will still spark, but usually the spark is a little weak... dunno, but that is something I have seen on KLRs. I'm assuming that the valve clearance check is OK & the cam timing is correct.

It's pretty easy to knock the key out during assembly... pin punch the key a couple times where it goes into the slot on the shaft.

• 4 years later...