2001 426 Spark Plug

5 replies to this topic
  • pbviking

Posted July 14, 2008 - 08:06 PM

Does anyone know of a good trick to remove a spark plug on a 01 YZ426? Do you have to take the seat and tank off everytime you want to change the spark plug. Even then the spark plug is difficult to remove due to the plug bing so far down in the cyclinder

• YamahaYZ426F

Posted July 14, 2008 - 09:48 PM

You don't have to u can just sorta lean it to the side but usally u just take it off because less chance of ripping of the fuel line if the gas tank happens to fall.

And these tools are what i find to be the best way to git to the spark plug.

http://www.sears.com...ket Accessories

http://www.sears.com...ket Accessories

and a spark plug socket thats the right size for your spark plug.

And what you do is you attach the universal joint to the spark plug then put that done in the hole then connect the 3in extension bar to the joint and there you go hope this helped :thumbsup: pm if you have any problems

• matt4x4

Posted July 15, 2008 - 04:46 AM

I just use the tool that came with the bike - well, I ordered it since my bike didn't come with it - Used.
I have used a universal and 3" ext. but it requires more space

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pbviking

Posted July 15, 2008 - 08:11 AM

thanks guys

So are you able to take the plug out without taking the seat and tank off? Getting the wire off the plug is a beach with the tank on

• grayracer513

Posted July 15, 2008 - 08:33 AM

The Motion Pro plug socket set is a well made tool for the job. It's handy as a trail tool because the extension can be driven by a 1/4" ratchet, a 14mm wrench, or a T-bar/Philips screwdriver. The boot inside the socket is a good enough fit to the plug to hold it, but not so snug that it pulls the socket off the extension, either.

Note the end of the extension is of the "wobble" type.

Pulling the tank is really the only good approach to this. But if you have to pull a spark plug more than once a year or so, there's something wrong.

• Colonel_Hapa_Blap

Posted July 15, 2008 - 09:02 AM

You have to take the seat and the tank off, or put the tank on a stool or do what I do and have your kid hold the tank while you change the plug. The best spark plug tool I have found thus far is a $2.99 T handle spark plug wrench from checkers auto. It has the T handle and the socket swivels so you can get in the hole and it works perfectly. Couldnt even tell you the last time I used the stock plug wrench or the motion pro I bought.

I dont remember what size the 426 or my 450 use so hers both:

Related Content

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.