Stopping the forks from twisting

5 replies to this topic
  • BBrown626

Posted July 14, 2008 - 04:35 PM

My son’s forks/clamps get twisted very easily. For example, if he tips over while barely moving through a corner the bars get twisted out of wack. I can grab the bars and wheel and pull them back. I have torqued the triple clamps, bars, bar mounts and both steering nuts to spec. I have loosened the top clamp and torqued the steering then retightened the top clamp. Nothing has worked yet. This doesn’t happen on any of our other bikes. Have I overlooked something? They shouldn't get twisted so easily.

• grayracer513

Posted July 14, 2008 - 05:03 PM

leave the top clamp tight and loosen the lower clamp pinch bolts. Shake the bars left and right and bounce the front end a few times. Then look to see if the forks are straight. If they are not, one of the tubes may be bent.

• whyzee125

Posted May 29, 2009 - 09:19 AM

I'm having the same problem with my YZ. dang, i hope my forks aren't bent, although i could pick some up on ebay pretty cheap i'd rather not. I need to find out though because im getting ready to get mine revalved so thatd be bad...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • clutchless

Posted May 29, 2009 - 09:48 AM

i have had this problem with all my yz's. drop the bike in a corner and front wheel is all out of wack.

i finally broke down and got a torque wrench mainly to tighten my triple clamps.

found out i never tightned them enough without it in fear of crushing the fork tube.

now that they are all set to the proper torque spec this problem rarely happens unless i really wad it up hard.

15 ft-lbs is the proper torque spec for the triple clamps on my 07.

• 2012 450 xc-w

Posted May 29, 2009 - 06:06 PM

Quit dropping the bike?

• whyzee125

Posted May 30, 2009 - 07:04 PM

Quit dropping the bike?

easy to say, but it shouldn't do that.:crazy:

Related Content

WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.