'08 WR450 - Tail Light Question

11 replies to this topic
  • shonc182

Posted July 14, 2008 - 09:19 AM

I bought a new 08 WR 450 and have ridden it all season. Until yesterday, I had never paid any attention to the tail light.

What is the normal operation of the tail light? Mine is on when the power is switched on (main power switch on trip computer). Conversely, my headlight only operates while the engine is running. There is no apparent 'brake light' function, but this appears normal from some reading of other posts that I have done.

I can't find this information in my owners manual. Can somebody please tell me how the tail light is supposed to operate? and if it is not correct point me to a possible cause?

• Kirkster

Posted July 14, 2008 - 09:26 AM

When you turn on the power switch the tail light turns on. No brake switch on the rear brake so it is always on...

That is the way my 07 is also.

K

• trailhead2004

Posted July 14, 2008 - 11:24 AM

You and the previous poster were correct, the taillight is just that, not a brake light as well.

The headlight works off the AC side of the electrical system, before the rectifier/regulator. That is why the headlight doean't turn on until the engine is running, no power to that side of the circuit yet.

trailhead2004

• willy_fitz

Posted July 14, 2008 - 02:43 PM

It is possible with some wiring and the addition of a brake switch to have the 08 WR rear light also function as a brake light.
The first step is to install a brake switch. My preference is for a hydralic switch that replaces the banjo bolt on the rear master cylinder.
Step Two - If you check the manual's wiring diagram (page 7-1) you will see at the rear light assembly there is a lead that is not used that bypasses the first resistor. This is the YELLOW lead from the light to the connector and there is no lead connected to the other side. :thumbsup:
I ran a lead from this wire to the brake switch and then ran a return line that I tapped into the positive (GREY) lead feeding the rear light. I have used connectors at the brake switch to allow me to remove the subframe without having to cut the wires and used heat shrink to keep everything waterproof.:thumbsup:
When I hit the rear brake, VOILA, I have a brake light. :thumbsup:
Do not attempt this mod if you are electron challenged :thumbsup:

• phynx

Posted July 17, 2008 - 02:33 PM

To make it SHORT- It's just a running light (no brake light). HOV for you CA. TT members.
At 32, I'm on my 3rd Wr as of last night.

• willy_fitz

Posted July 18, 2008 - 07:09 AM

To make it SHORT- It's just a running light (no brake light). HOV for you CA. TT members.
At 32, I'm on my 3rd Wr as of last night.

As wired by the factory it is true it is only a running light but it is possible to convert the stock rear tailight to function both as a running light and brake light.
By the way I have been an industrial electrical technologist with 34 years of experience. The reason the post went a little long was that I was hoping to make the instructions clear to those who are interested.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • FastRides

Posted July 18, 2008 - 12:01 PM

As wired by the factory it is true it is only a running light but it is possible to convert the stock rear tailight to function both as a running light and brake light.
By the way I have been an industrial electrical technologist with 34 years of experience. The reason the post went a little long was that I was hoping to make the instructions clear to those who are interested.

Very informative, Mr. fitz - particularly for us "electron challenged" types who are just starting to research this DS conversion stuff. Thanks for posting. If / when I go down this road, I'll be leveraging off of that 34 years! :thumbsup:

• Dube2

Posted July 18, 2008 - 12:31 PM

It is possible with some wiring and the addition of a brake switch to have the 08 WR rear light also function as a brake light.
The first step is to install a brake switch. My preference is for a hydralic switch that replaces the banjo bolt on the rear master cylinder.
Step Two - If you check the manual's wiring diagram (page 7-1) you will see at the rear light assembly there is a lead that is not used that bypasses the first resistor. This is the YELLOW lead from the light to the connector and there is no lead connected to the other side. :thumbsup:
I ran a lead from this wire to the brake switch and then ran a return line that I tapped into the positive (GREY) lead feeding the rear light. I have used connectors at the brake switch to allow me to remove the subframe without having to cut the wires and used heat shrink to keep everything waterproof.:thumbsup:
When I hit the rear brake, VOILA, I have a brake light. :thumbsup:
Do not attempt this mod if you are electron challenged :thumbsup:

X2:thumbsup:

• poser493

Posted November 19, 2008 - 10:30 AM

has anyone wired a brake light switch on the front brake lever?

I'm looking into getting a WR eventually and plan on putting a DS kit on it. I often don't ever touch the rear brake, so it would suite me better to have the brake light switch on the front brake

• phynx

Posted November 19, 2008 - 10:41 AM

I have.. It's not the lever unless you run a complete different perch. The easy way is just to run a 1.25mm hydraulic switch and feed it from there. I just wired my WR last weekend. Easy if you are familiar with DC.

• poser493

Posted November 19, 2008 - 11:00 AM

I'm pretty confident with wiring and such, so I don't think it'll be an issue.

and after some searching I found someone else who had done it. looks simple enough

thanks for the reply!

• snaggletooth

Posted November 20, 2008 - 03:57 PM

Just to add my .02 cents.

My rear light works so well as a brake light that i'm sure yamaha built it with this use in mind. It wired right up to my procycle light kit. It is super bright when the brakes are applied.

I only run the brake switch on the rear (foot) lever. I wired the bike so it will run totaly blacked out if I want. All I have to do is stay off of the rear brake if I don't want to be seen at night.

BTW, The head light also wierd right up for hig/low beam. If my memory serves me correctly the stock bulb also had a high/low function. It doesn't make much more usable light on high beam, it just projects higher than the low beam. I only use it while approaching a large hill while on the trails.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.