pit bikes for 5 & 7 year old?

Can anyone set me straight on the pros and cons of the following potential pit bikes. These are intended to be play bikes for my two boys who race fast 50's.

The following bikes are what I'm considering for them.

TTR110 vs KLX110

CRF50 vs DRZ70

May end up with 2 of the big bikes.

May end up with 2 of the smaller bikes.

May end up with 1 of each

Short 7 year old and relatively tall 5 year old. Want them to have a couple play bikes that the don't want to fight over who rides what everytime they decide to ride around the house.

What would you do?

Thanks guys.

Kris- Stronger and better equipped how? Interested in your thoughts here. My only experience with the small Suzukis was a JR50 that I worked on for someone and I wasn't impressed with the quality of build. Was hoping that the DRZ70 was on a par with the crf50 becuase it has a little more motor. Don't know if it matters. Don't know about seat height etc. Frankly, don't know squat about the bikes so anything you could tell me to help me choose one over the other would be appreciated.

Rockcrawler- Why DRZ70 over CRF50? Can you elaborate?

Both of you/others- Any thoughts on the ttr110 vs the klx110? I'm somewhat familiar with the klx and know nothing about the ttr other than it has an electric start and 4 speed tranny. Not sure I want electric start anyway.

the seat hiegth of the klx is better for shorter riders thats why i recommended the klx. as far as the drz i recommended it becuz you said he was a tall 5 yo and they are a little taller than the 50's now the drz70 has only been out 1 year but i dont know of anyone who has said they stronger or better equiped as a crf50 but i will say the crf has a HUGE aftermarket following of which the drz does not so the crf50 may be the better buy and the klx would be the better buy for your 7 yo....

Wow. Pretty amazing how much all of those bikes are like one another. They must use ALL the same aftermarket parts.

Thanks for putting that together!

Is there a difference between the DRZ & the CRF other than the engine & exhaust?

how tall are your kids? finding a bike that fits them well is the most important, i guess it couldn't hurt to go to a motorcycle shop a few times and see which ones they like best...but always take your time when buying a new bike, you'll want something that you absolutely love, not something that you sort of like

bamboqigong-

Yeah, I'm planning on taking them to at least sit on some. Most of the bikes we have so far (actually all of them), I pretty much "had" to pick out for them. Will be interesting letting them have a say this time.

Precision50-

Interested in more of your thoughts on this. I went and looked at some bikes today and was considering basically what you're saying but with the drz70 instead. CRF isn't out of the equation yet however.

What I mean is, I was wondering today if it would be a mistake just to get two drz/crf 50's so they can kind of just duke it out in the yard etc. I'm wondering if it would be more fun for the 7 year old too- really want them to have some time to just have fun goofing around. Can you elaborate on why you think the 50 over the 110 for the older boy? Have you had experience with this somehow?

What I mean is, I was wondering today if it would be a mistake just to get two drz/crf 50's so they can kind of just duke it out in the yard etc. I'm wondering if it would be more fun for the 7 year old too- really want them to have some time to just have fun goofing around. Can you elaborate on why you think the 50 over the 110 for the older boy? Have you had experience with this somehow?

thats a great idea actually because they can race each other and neither of them will be at an advantage bike wise my sons (similar to yours in age separationwould have been doing that BUT my oldest crashed at the track on the pw50 when he was just starting out and wont go near them now, so he rides the 4 wheeler instead...?

Might just do that. I think I'd be less inclined to start "coaching" either one of them on 50's rather than the bigger bikes. It's time for my oldest to just be able to ride some.

Would be neat if your boys could ride together some somehow on two wheels too.

Ever thought about trials bikes? I'd buy a couple for my boys (also), but geez they are high (gasgasboy50's etc). I'd have 2 if I could afford them AND fast 50's for two boys.

Actually purchased a couple of the "oset" electric trials bikes..... which have their place, but aren't QUITE what I was hoping for. Might be kind of neat for your oldest to goof around on however... just a thought. And not to say that there is a prob with the 4 wheeler either. If that's what he likes to do, the so be it

What about the pitster pro x290?

Am I biting off more than I want to chew? More maintenance than the other 50/70's? Am I moving away from my original game plan by looking at these? Fun, reliable, easy to ride, low stress for me and the boys....

Was informed that the DRZ70 won't do wheelies and stoppies.... so, now I'm trying to decide if I should rethink it.

Any other options for already built "pit bikes"?

• Like 1

i dont think a stock crf will do wheelies or stoppies either nor would i want them to for the smaller kiddos! the pitster is a good bike but with all chines bikes it will have some quirks to work through but not much really and can be had cheap but heck you can find CRF50 in the sub 1000 range brand new if you look/call hard enough. there was even a dealer here in texas offering 08 ttr 50's for like 750!!!! yea im working on my oldest to give the dirt bikes another chance becuz most tracks dont allow quads so there are times where he cant come becuz the quad is not allowed! matter of fact tomorrow im taking him to ride the dirt bike again...

bamboqigong-

Precision50-

Interested in more of your thoughts on this. I went and looked at some bikes today and was considering basically what you're saying but with the drz70 instead. CRF isn't out of the equation yet however.

The DRZ70 is to new and really IMO is not a bike thats been proven as of yet!

trust me on this one get a pair of CRf50 with a 60-100lbs rider aboard they fly (automatic 3 speed) upper 40mph thats cookin for a little dude. and in stock form they are also 200lbs adult proven, How can you beat that... you cant!!!

when the kids start to get the feel and hang of shifting and are bored simply add a manual clutch not going fast enough add a 88cc - 138cc kit on a CRf50 motor.... Skys & upgrades are the limit....?

I have a stock CRf50 and its honestly the best funnest bike I own and My 14 year old daughter can ride it and have fun on it....?

Rockcrawlerdude-

So, been riding with your boys today yet? Hope it goes well.

Thanks for the info on the pitsters. I think I've decided against going that route (for now anyway).

Precision50-

Sounds like you REALLY recommend the crf50. Maybe that's what I just need to go ahead and do.

Both of you....

Another spin on this would be to just get another yamaha pw. The reasons I bring this up as a possibility are-

1. Oldest son still likes riding his brothers at times... don't know how long this will last however.

2. Youngest son may race his pw some next year in an effort to get to Lorettas in his junior year. Figure the added seat time on it chasing his older brother on the same bike may be good when they are not riding their fast 50's.

3. Would only need to buy one bike right now and could see about maybe getting a couple klx110's when the youngest can ride one.

Don't know if that even remotely could make sense.

Just curious what you see as the real benefit right now to getting a couple crfs/drzs vs the pw's? Really don't have a clue what would make the crfs more desirable as a play bike to young kids. Can you give me some insight?