which chain for yz450f

17 replies to this topic
  • husqy360

Posted July 12, 2008 - 06:01 PM

hi
i got my amazing yz450 few month back in new condish.

the original chain is tottaly crap, after every ride(about 1 hour) i need to push the chain tanshiner back. its amazing 1 hour and its 2 lose lol its plain funny.
no more room to tight so i need a new chain

what will you recommend ?
im looking for somthing cheap that will last cuz im on a tight budget, not crap but not to expensive.
which sprocket will you recommend for more power?
im not riding any wide open trails so want a little more kick in 2nd and 3rd gear.

thanks for your help

• husqy360

Posted July 12, 2008 - 06:02 PM

i dont race and only ride for fun and adrenaline rush.

• YamahaYZ426F

Posted July 12, 2008 - 06:54 PM

For the Chain i would go with a parts unlimted chain. And for the sprockets I never had any problems with JT sprockets and im not sure what stock teeth are on your 450 so if you want the bike to accelerate faster subtract teeth from the front sprocket or add teeth to the rear sprocket and if you want a faster top speed add teeth to the front sprocket or subtract teeth from the rear hope this helped good luck :thumbsup:

• lluks252

Posted July 12, 2008 - 07:58 PM

For the Chain i would go with a parts unlimted chain. And for the sprockets I never had any problems with JT sprockets and im not sure what stock teeth are on your 450 so if you want the bike to accelerate faster subtract teeth from the front sprocket or add teeth to the rear sprocket and if you want a faster top speed add teeth to the front sprocket or subtract teeth from the rear hope this helped good luck :thumbsup:

Remember they say every 1 tooth in the front, is equal to 3 in the rear, so back to the question, I have an 03 and I have a DID 520 O-Ring on it, so far I've rode probably 8 hard rides on a MX track and only had to adjust it 2 twice so far, but I make sure my chain is extremely clean after each ride as that is key to making a chain last. I also like to use steel rear sprockets as they last alot longer than aluminum. 14/48 is my stock gearing on it but I like 14/49, I'm going to try 14/50 here soon...and remember a yz isn't made for woods its made for motocross, jumping, & going fast

• grayracer513

Posted July 12, 2008 - 08:25 PM

There are too different kinds of inexpensive: the kind you pay a cheap price for and get a cheap product in return, and the kind where you pay a reasonable price for a product that gives you good service over a long time.

I use only Regina ORN6 chains. I use them because they last. The one on my son's '06 is the first one that I've had actually wear out before I sold the bike. I put it on when the bike was new, and he ran it for 22 months. And he absolutely rides the crap out of it, too. TT store has them for $78.

For sprockets, it's a little different. It's mostly worn out, "stretched" chains that wear sprockets, so if the chain holds up, the sprockets will hold up better, too. You can economize with stuff like Sunstar or JT for around $35 (even less for steel rears). They aren't elegant, but they're functional. For $50 or so, you can get nicer, hard anodized aluminum stuff like Tag Metals.

• husqy360

Posted July 12, 2008 - 08:43 PM

cool
ill look into the Regina ORN6 cahin.
i think ill just get a bigger front sprocket cuz its cheaper then a rear.
any other chain around 50 bucks?
thasnk for the replays guys :thumbsup:

• rickallen124

Posted July 12, 2008 - 08:50 PM

Regina's 520 RX3, which is the non o-ring, can be bought for around $50 and the same place actualy had the ORN6 for less money.

• BBrown626

Posted July 13, 2008 - 07:32 AM

There are too different kinds of inexpensive: the kind you pay a cheap price for and get a cheap product in return, and the kind where you pay a reasonable price for a product that gives you good service over a long time.

I use only Regina ORN6 chains. I use them because they last. The one on my son's '06 is the first one that I've had actually wear out before I sold the bike. I put it on when the bike was new, and he ran it for 22 months. And he absolutely rides the crap out of it, too. TT store has them for $78.

For sprockets, it's a little different. It's mostly worn out, "stretched" chains that wear sprockets, so if the chain holds up, the sprockets will hold up better, too. You can economize with stuff like Sunstar or JT for around $35 (even less for steel rears). They aren't elegant, but they're functional. For $50 or so, you can get nicer, hard anodized aluminum stuff like Tag Metals.

Regina ORN6:thumbsup:
Mine came with a rivetted master link. Ensure you have the tool for installing it if you get a rivetted link.

• grayracer513

Posted July 13, 2008 - 08:06 AM

Regina ORN6:thumbsup:
Mine came with a rivetted master link. Ensure you have the tool for installing it if you get a rivetted link.

If it came with a rivet link, it was an ORS6, not an ORN6. The ORN6 is supplied with a clip type that has to be pressed together to assemble. This can be done with common tools, though. Rivet links are an unnecessary complication, IMO.

The only downside to the clip link in the case of the ORN6 is that the chain lasts so long that it is possible for contact with the chain guide to wear out the clip over time. Because of that, you may need to replace the master link, or at least the clip once or twice during the life of the chain.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • NOMADAK

Posted July 13, 2008 - 11:54 AM

I use Rk gold chains with Pro-Taper sprockets. Swear by both. They wear like iron, chain doesn't stretch and they look fantasic on either blue, yellow or white Yamahas.

• husqy360

Posted July 13, 2008 - 10:54 PM

ok guys thanks for the help :thumbsup:
i found some good deals on the Regina and DID.
which length ill need to buy?

• Wiz636

Posted July 14, 2008 - 12:59 PM

520 X 114 links

• Beaz

Posted July 14, 2008 - 02:46 PM

Does anyone know the max width a chain could be
I have a ek zzz off of my roadrace bike i used for 2 races
but it looks to thick

• husqy360

Posted July 14, 2008 - 06:05 PM

520 X 114 links

• Srf2Drt

Posted July 14, 2008 - 06:11 PM

Thare are countless solid combinations to run. Personally I run the 520 X with Front and Rear Ironman Sprokets I kept stock gearing for my 08 450f.

• corndog67

Posted July 16, 2008 - 06:15 PM

When I get a new chain (I'm anxiously awaiting a DID 520VM X-ring), I always order a spare master link and keep it in the tool roll. Someone else usually ends up needing it, but I get a spare every time I buy a new chain. You would think I would end up having 20 or 30 of them laying around after all these years, but there are only a couple in the tool box. I always make sure that I have the right one for the bike I'm riding.

• bigred455

Posted July 16, 2008 - 06:49 PM

When I get a new chain (I'm anxiously awaiting a DID 520VM X-ring), I always order a spare master link and keep it in the tool roll. Someone else usually ends up needing it, but I get a spare every time I buy a new chain. You would think I would end up having 20 or 30 of them laying around after all these years, but there are only a couple in the tool box. I always make sure that I have the right one for the bike I'm riding.

This is actually a good idea ,the master link does wear at the pins through the rear chain guide. The pins wear enough the clip will come off and I do not have to say what happens after. I throw a new masterlink on with clip in-between buying another chain. GOOD CALL:thumbsup:

• corndog67

Posted July 17, 2008 - 08:45 PM

When I ordered my chain the other day, it was only $6.00 more for an extra master link.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.