Spinreel, OR and my KDX 200

17 replies to this topic
  • RyanMX

Posted July 12, 2008 - 04:37 PM

We are planning a trip to the dunes in Oregon (Spinreel) with my girlfriend's dad and I am wondering if I get a paddle tire for my '93 KDX 200, how well would it do in the dunes. Her dad will have a couple sand rails, but I really want to ride my bike there. I'd appreciate anyones opinion and thanks in advance!

• Terrain Rider 4z

Posted July 12, 2008 - 04:42 PM

My bro had a 91 KDX200 that he took to Juniper Dunes near Tri Cities. Grossly underpowered and undersuspended for the dunes. He did not have a paddle, but ran his knobby at 4 psi. The KDX is a woods bike, it just doesn't have the go juice for the sand.

• MyFirstThumper

Posted July 12, 2008 - 06:15 PM

My buddy runs his KTM200 out at Moses Lake with a small paddle and seems to do just fine. Also keep in mind I believe Oregon law says you have to run a flag on your bike in the dunes.

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted July 12, 2008 - 07:11 PM

We are planning a trip to the dunes in Oregon (Spinreel) with my girlfriend's dad and I am wondering if I get a paddle tire for my '93 KDX 200, how well would it do in the dunes. Her dad will have a couple sand rails, but I really want to ride my bike there. I'd appreciate anyones opinion and thanks in advance!

If you roll that KDX200 in the sand without a paddle, it will be underpowered. The bike will generate lots more heat also, could even result in engine damage. If you dont use a paddle, you need big power. Like a 450, and they will generate more heat anyway. Think of the thick sand like a boat, you need speed to get up on a plane (vs plowing). In the dunes, you need speed to get on top of the sand. Paddle is your only option. Unless there is heavy rains and sand it all wet.

• mrudy

Posted July 12, 2008 - 09:30 PM

I'm down at North Bend, OR right now and was out in the dunes last week and it is super dry & soft. The long range weather forecast doesn't call for any moisture in the next 10 days.

By the way, the 950 Katoom still doesn't like the sand, even with knobbies.

• RyanMX

Posted July 13, 2008 - 08:47 AM

I am definately going to buy a paddle tire. I've find a few sites that offer them and they all seem to be around $60.

• mdm_rides

Posted July 13, 2008 - 02:04 PM

Go up a couple on the main jet also

• Pincushion

Posted July 14, 2008 - 06:24 AM

Bump up the main, get a flag and put some panty hose over your filter and then tear it up!

I ride my bike sans-paddle quite often in the dunes and while its not the easiest of tasks, its certainly doable. You wont be climbing the biggest dunes, but you will get around and have a good time doing so. Luckily, you're going to Coos Bay and not Winchester.

I bet your KDX will do okay. I see kids riding KX80's and XR200's all over the dunes and they seem to have a good time.

• cumminsman

Posted July 14, 2008 - 07:02 AM

Get a paddle, get at larger jet, and raise the needle. Fresh clean air filter with some foam around the inlets to your airbox. You will need a flag in the dunes too.

• YoDaddy

Posted July 15, 2008 - 10:00 PM

Dude! Do not run a paddle on that thing. It is too much load for the small bore. You would be better off with a newer sand knobby or a regular knob. Running a paddle on a smaller bike will produce a lot of heat, you are going to want some wheelspin as opposed to pure hook-up with a bike that is already underpowered for the dunes.

Don't get me wrong, you can still have a good time, but horsepower is the only way to really get the most out of the REAL dunes down in Oregon. (Deep and soft sand)

• cumminsman

Posted July 16, 2008 - 07:22 AM

Dude! Do not run a paddle on that thing. It is too much load for the small bore. You would be better off with a newer sand knobby or a regular knob. Running a paddle on a smaller bike will produce a lot of heat, you are going to want some wheelspin as opposed to pure hook-up with a bike that is already underpowered for the dunes.

Don't get me wrong, you can still have a good time, but horsepower is the only way to really get the most out of the REAL dunes down in Oregon. (Deep and soft sand)

6 paddle! You don't have to have an 8, 10 or 12 paddle.

• robl245

Posted July 16, 2008 - 08:23 AM

It'll do fine. Just make sure you're not too lean. You want to be a little rich so you can keep the revs up without overheating. If it boils over, or starts to ping, BACKOFF and lower the clip a notch (raise the needle). You're not using the stock pipe are you? I've never tried a paddle on my KDX, but it would do OK with one. It works fine in the sand with a knobby. Don't get me wrong, it's definitely not ideal - a bigger bike is much better in sand, but they do work. Don't let the nay-sayers discourage you.

Rob

• Liquid10

Posted July 16, 2008 - 11:32 AM

Definately run a paddle. If it hasn't rained in a while the sand in Oregon will be very soft and difficult to get around in without a paddle. I rode my heavy DRZ400 (with a paddle) in the Oregon dunes and it was a blast. I tried riding it with the knobby and I was hardly ever able to get traction, even on flat ground. After an hour of that I went to the local shop and bought a paddle for it. I've seen many small bikes with paddles, you should be fine.

• RyanMX

Posted July 16, 2008 - 03:14 PM

It'll do fine. Just make sure you're not too lean. You want to be a little rich so you can keep the revs up without overheating. If it boils over, or starts to ping, BACKOFF and lower the clip a notch (raise the needle). You're not using the stock pipe are you? I've never tried a paddle on my KDX, but it would do OK with one. It works fine in the sand with a knobby. Don't get me wrong, it's definitely not ideal - a bigger bike is much better in sand, but they do work. Don't let the nay-sayers discourage you.

Rob

It's got an FMF pipe. I can only find an 8 paddle tire in the size I need (110*100*18), but my sister can get one for $40 from her shop.

• cumminsman

Posted July 16, 2008 - 08:02 PM

8 will be fine on that thing. I had an 89 RMX 250 and it was fine. I have never riden a 200, but shoot, what's another 50cc's.

• RyanMX

Posted August 31, 2008 - 09:20 PM

Used the 8 paddle tire, raised my needle, tried a couple different jets and a cooler spark plug. Rode great, but used a lot of gas. I could have used more power, but I was able to keep up with everyone and made it up every dune although a couple times it died halfway up one and I had to try again.

Few pics from the beach. I had it pinned in 5th gear going down the beach. Lots of fun!
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Slackkinhard

Posted August 31, 2008 - 09:40 PM

After that beach ride, a fresh water bath, and then liberal use of WD-40 are your best friends

Clean your airbox, bearing repack, and a good lubing will be rewarded as well

• RyanMX

Posted September 01, 2008 - 03:32 PM

After that beach ride, a fresh water bath, and then liberal use of WD-40 are your best friends

Clean your airbox, bearing repack, and a good lubing will be rewarded as well

Haha, yeah! Got home a few days after riding and the rust had already started. Got it all cleaned up and have a new air filter and a new bearing kit ready to go in so I can get back to some dirt riding.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.