KDX 200 in the dunes (Spinreel, OR)

8 replies to this topic
  • RyanMX

Posted July 12, 2008 - 04:34 PM

We are planning a trip to the dunes in Oregon (Spinreel) with my girlfriend's dad and I am wondering if I get a paddle tire for my '93 KDX 200, how well would it do in the dunes. Her dad will have a couple sand rails, but I really want to ride my bike there. I'd appreciate anyones opinion and thanks in advance!

• hodgkins

Posted July 12, 2008 - 05:02 PM

I would go with a 6 paddle cheng shin. 8 would be too much and cheng shin's are $55. Might want to go up a size or 2 on the main jet because sand puts a tremendous load on the motor. Sand also sucks the fuel. Check it often so you don't get stranded.

• Cody592

Posted July 12, 2008 - 05:17 PM

Your bike will probably be somewhat underpowered for dune riding. Not saying you cant use it , it just wont have the power to carry you through the power robbing sand like a 450 or a 250 2t. I'm not really framiliar with KDX and their power delivery but arent the a 2 stroke trail bike? Make sure you richen the mixture up a little so you dont blow it up cause your bike will run hotter in the sand because your spinning your tire so much. Also make sure your air box is seals so your not sucking in sand, you might want to bring a spare filter. Make sure that you also remove the shock flap thingy (forgot wat its called :thumbsup:) or the paddle tire will remove it for you. Have fun.:thumbsup:

• RyanMX

Posted July 12, 2008 - 05:32 PM

Yeah, it is a 2 stroke trail bike. I'll definately make sure my filter is clean before I go and bring another one with me. Thanks!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • hi_im_sean

Posted July 12, 2008 - 07:25 PM

gear down a tooth or 2 in the front, get a 6 paddel, and i wouldnt remove the mud guard, do you want to sandblast your shock? if you gear down you can move the wheel back to keep chain tension the same and the paddle shouldnt hit the mud guard

• ebeck

Posted July 12, 2008 - 07:33 PM

Run main 170 jet. Make sure it gets lubes and stays cool. Use 91 FOR SURE. The KDX makes alot of torque. It does pretty well in the dunes.

Have fun!

• Cody592

Posted July 13, 2008 - 05:46 AM

gear down a tooth or 2 in the front, get a 6 paddel, and i wouldnt remove the mud guard, do you want to sandblast your shock? if you gear down you can move the wheel back to keep chain tension the same and the paddle shouldnt hit the mud guard

On some bikes you have to remove the mud guard depending on swing arm length and paddle length. You will most likely have to remove it so the paddles dont tear it off. You can get one of those shock sock things to put over the sock so its not getting sand blasted

• RyanMX

Posted July 13, 2008 - 08:51 AM

It looks like I can only find paddle tires with 8 paddles that will fit my bike. 110*100*18

What is the difference between 6 and 8 paddles?

• MTO

Posted July 13, 2008 - 11:01 AM

more power robbing traction with 8 paddles

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Am I expecting too much? 2002 KX250 by condor74

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Kawasaki   Kawasaki 2-Stroke
  • Hot  31 replies
Forums
Photo

2006 kx100 wont hit powerband by kxkid110

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Intake - Jetting / Fuel Injection
  • 8 replies
Forums
Photo

Kx 125 Build by NzJohny

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

01 KX-125 has no power! HELPPP by crhyne1994

• 12 replies
Forums
Photo

1998Kx250 or 2002 Kx250. Which is the better bike? by Mudlauncher

• Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.