Loud Mouth Filter Claims +5HP on YZ450F

41 replies to this topic
  • siscokid7

Posted November 28, 2008 - 11:07 AM

This is the article from last months MXA. Looks cool but does it work? My bike budget is set for a twin air already. But the ready disposables are working just fine right now.

Posted Image

• thatkid46

Posted November 28, 2008 - 03:07 PM

MXA gave it 5 out of 5 stars, i thought i remembered reading about it in there. thats the only magazine i would think about listening to when it comes to tech/parts advice.

• grayracer513

Posted November 28, 2008 - 03:22 PM

My take on the matter is this:

They didn't test a YZF, they tested a CRF, which has a tighter air box, and is a notorious PITA to swap out filters in. Any improvement in accessibility that worked no better than stock would probably draw raves. YZF filters are easy to change.

No alternative to the screened OEM YZF filter cage has ever shown a gain on the dyno, which tells me simply that the screen flows more air than the filter does, and probably more than the carb itself. Look at it. It's divided up into 8 radial sections, each of which is at least roughly twice the size of the carb throat.

I seriously doubt the horsepower claims, even in a Honda, and it offers me no advantage that I can see worth anything like the amount of money they want for it.

• siscokid7

Posted November 28, 2008 - 03:31 PM

My take on the matter is this:

They didn't test a YZF, they tested a CRF, which has a tighter air box, and is a notorious PITA to swap out filters in. Any improvement in accessibility that worked no better than stock would probably draw raves. YZF filters are easy to change.

No alternative to the screened OEM YZF filter cage has ever shown a gain on the dyno, which tells me simply that the screen flows more air than the filter does, and probably more than the carb itself. Look at it. It's divided up into 8 radial sections, each of which is at least roughly twice the size of the carb throat.

I seriously doubt the horsepower claims, even in a Honda, and it offers me no advantage that I can see worth anything like the amount of money they want for it.

I just realized the price.:bonk: 200 bucks? Does it change its own filter too?:bonk:

• Family Man

Posted November 28, 2008 - 05:05 PM

Theres and old saying " A fool and there money are soon parted."

• siscokid7

Posted November 28, 2008 - 05:14 PM

Theres and old saying " A fool and there money are soon parted."

Lets forget the price and the claim of increased HP. Lets just focus on what benefits this offers over other after-market air filters. According to them, all the kits use the same filter. For guys that own more than one ride it is a plus to only have to buy one kind of filter that is interchangeable between bikes. The kit also removes the stock lip and cage that holds the air filter on. Instead of sealing the filter to the box with grease, it has an active method using a hose clamp to ensure a tight seal. Now not taking price into consideration, doesnt that sound good? If someone has a lathe you could make the adapter and sell them for half the cost of the loudmouth. All the customer would have to do is buy the no-toil filters and hose clamp.

• grayracer513

Posted November 28, 2008 - 07:18 PM

The kit also removes the stock lip and cage that holds the air filter on. Instead of sealing the filter to the box with grease, it has an active method using a hose clamp to ensure a tight seal. Now not taking price into consideration, doesnt that sound good?

No advantage. The OEM cage clamps the sealing lip of the filter against the mounting flange. It will seal quite well with just a good filter oil.

• 25cameron25

Posted November 28, 2008 - 09:10 PM

I do have a honda. And its a pain in the arse. And why the hell not. maybe it will have power gains...who knows. I am willing to see. and if to magazines gave it there best rating maybe its good. Pricey....yes.

• qwert321

Posted November 29, 2008 - 09:13 AM

Gray take the time to read the article it does say they tested it on a yz450f

• grayracer513

Posted November 29, 2008 - 09:45 AM

Gray take the time to read the article it does say they tested it on a yz450f

They did not dyno a YZF, did they? Besides, you've seen Ron Hamp's opinion of the dyno test.

Look, if you want to spend your $200 on this, go for it.

I see no reason to want to.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • xorron5

Posted November 29, 2008 - 09:55 AM

I made on post of the badly mounting air filter frame ...and i have been thinking
for a while of getting the loud mouth system...now it looks like i don't have
a choice...

• siscokid7

Posted November 29, 2008 - 09:59 AM

I made on post of the badly mounting air filter frame ...and i have been thinking
for a while of getting the loud mouth system...now it looks like i don't have
a choice...

What kind of bike do you have?

• xorron5

Posted November 30, 2008 - 05:57 AM

-09 yz450f ...but i got all ready an very good brief from grayracer...of the airfilter anatomy...so i am enlighted...and might hold my horses for the loud mouth..i do want it but its a lot of cash for sponge...its nice do..

• Shane140s

Posted December 05, 2008 - 08:11 AM

I just put one on my 08 Suzuki 450. I didn't notice any performance change, but the convenience of changing air filters was worth the price. I hate dealing with the grease, lining up the cage and all that B.S.

• Wiz636

Posted December 05, 2008 - 08:50 AM

Wow, it's amazing that the factories after spending millions in R&D and pro racing over all these years have missed this easy HP gain.

I'm not drinking this batch of KoolAid.

• Ga450owner

Posted December 05, 2008 - 04:20 PM

Enough of the madness :smirk:
Loudmouth....BTW very appropriate name for this product, should offer all of us a hefty discount....80% off list price, to test the product and claim for the entire world that this large claim is true....:thumbsup:

• SPLATT

Posted December 05, 2008 - 06:11 PM

If they throw in one of those Tornado air intake thingys I'm sold:bonk:

Steve

• 25cameron25

Posted December 05, 2008 - 07:27 PM

i asked for one for christmas. :thumbsup:

• rm85dad

Posted December 08, 2008 - 05:08 PM

Bottom line here is do you want remove your filter screen and take the chance of sucking debris into your intake. I have seen some bad situations with the removal of screens in airboxs. Sounds to me like a costly risk but if a national championship is on the line so be it. Also why not just run a bike on the dyno with and without a airfilter/screencage. You will get the data right there. Lets face it the bikes have plenty of power why introduce risk unless you can afford it.

• grayracer513

Posted December 08, 2008 - 09:29 PM

...why not just run a bike on the dyno with and without a airfilter/screencage.

This has already been done. In the case of the YZF, the results were that the presence of the screen costs nothing in terms of power.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.