Loud Mouth Filter Claims +5HP on YZ450F

41 replies to this topic
  • Yamahafan

Posted July 12, 2008 - 01:51 PM

"What we found to our amazement was that the Loud Mouth had broadened up the power curve by 5-7HP on average over stock throughout almost the entire RPM range, while peaking out at a maximum of 45HP. Although that’s just +1HP above stock at maximum peak performance, it’s an understatement at the least to say that getting there is really what’s impressive! Furthermore; the torque curve was broadened by 3-4lb-ft on average as well. Looking over the time for which data was recorded within a two second time interval from resting point, we had discovered that the loudmouth had the advantage of delivering 32:28HP (+5HP), 26:24lb-ft (+2lb-ft) and +3MPH."

http://www.loudmouth...id=37&Itemid=54

Don't shoot the messenger.

• William1

Posted July 12, 2008 - 02:04 PM

The gain on .6 Hp may be related to filter condition too. Most of the rest of the variations can easily be explained by dyno operator variances. Notice there is no mention of jetting changes. Notmally, a change requitrs a jet to be changed. Maybe the bike was a little rich before and a freeer flowing filter helped or even the bike may of been lean and the replacement filter is a little restrictive, both of which would explain a small power variation.

But the filter probably does its' job, but just do not expect power gains.

• grayracer513

Posted July 12, 2008 - 02:06 PM

Whatever

• MX926

Posted July 12, 2008 - 04:18 PM

Wow....... Lets just hack the airbox off, and throw on a velocity stack I hear that will make her zing on the top end..........haha.

just kidding. new product, sounds interesting, we'll see how it pans out in the future.

• Ga426owner

Posted July 12, 2008 - 04:44 PM

That is quite a claim......:thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted July 12, 2008 - 04:51 PM

When someone besides the company selling the product provides a dyno test on a stock bike vs. one with whatever these guys are putting on it, vs. another run with a simple Twin Air replacement filter, and before each run the bike(s) are tuned/jetted for best output, I'll consider it a possibility.

But not until.

• nap__kxf

Posted July 12, 2008 - 06:11 PM

doesn't the 450 put out over 45hp stock?

• grayracer513

Posted July 12, 2008 - 08:08 PM

Most of the corrected, properly conducted dyno runs I have seen put the peak power at or just above 50. For various reasons, inertia dynos are not strictly accurate, and it can be difficult to compare numbers from one machine to another. But back to back runs on the same machine on the same day that show a difference in the performance of a bike before and after a mod is made are valid for the sake of comparison.

What is all too often done in situations like this is that a stone stock unit is used as a baseline without making any effort to optimize its performance (in fact a deliberate effort not to is sometimes made). Then the modifications are made, and the bike is rejetted and tuned to run its best, and that gets used to show the improvement made by the product in question.

• nap__kxf

Posted July 13, 2008 - 04:51 AM

so even though you said their dyno isn't the most accurate, if it was then the 5hp gain that they showed is basically false and proves that their modification does zero for the bike at all since the +5hp gain equates to 50 and so does the tests you have seen. however i doubt these dynos are comparable to what you have seen.

but this is a perfect setup to email these guys and catch them at their own lie for the humor. :thumbsup:

• tpars121

Posted July 13, 2008 - 05:04 AM

$125 for Kaw, Hon and Suz. $190 for a Yam.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ron Hamp

Posted July 13, 2008 - 06:02 AM

the numbers apear to be generated with a knobby tire and the torque and hp numbers should cross @ the same point wich would be 5250 rpm of course there rpm graph is off also.thers a possibility that a reshaped entry from the filter if it were made smaller could help produce more low end power with out hurting the peak numbers as long as there low like 45 hp.

• grayracer513

Posted July 13, 2008 - 07:52 AM

....then the 5hp gain that they showed is basically false and proves that their modification does zero for the bike at all since the +5hp gain equates to 50

No, because they already stated that the gain at peak was only 1hp. The 5 hp they claimed was somewhere in the mid range. If, as Ron suggests, they did the test with a knobby, that could account for showing 5hp less than what the should have pulled quite easily. Then again, it could also have accounted for the difference between two runs.

The problem, IMO, is not that these tests prove they're lying, it's that they prove nothing. They are, at this point, unsupported claims, and nothing else.

What I find most disappointing is the lack of any information about the product other than their horsepower claims; nothing but a few hints that they filter pretty good and are somehow or other supposed to be "quick change". Frankly, I don't have any particular problems with my current setup on either of those scores.

• KJ790

Posted July 13, 2008 - 07:59 AM

That dyno graph cannot be used as a comparison between the two runs, as the x-axis is time, not RPM. To compare them on a graph the parameters need to be determined by the engine (RPM vs. output torque/power), not time. If you look at where on the x-axis the torque curve crosses the power curve, they are in different locations for the respective runs, meaning they waited a bit before starting to rev the engine in one run. If they waited 4 seconds before reving the engine on one run and then graphed it like that they could advertise a 45hp gain. What a joke.

• grayracer513

Posted July 13, 2008 - 08:15 AM

Does anyone remember the battery operated air box mounted fans that were supposed to be "superchargers", and add like 5 hp or something? This kind of reminds me of that.

If they have a product that somehow improves filter accessibility, which is a real problem on some bikes, they should focus on the details of that benefit, and sell on that point, not on some bogus power claim.

• okieonayamaha

Posted July 13, 2008 - 08:50 AM

That's just what my 450 was missing. More power!!:thumbsup::eek:

• William1

Posted July 13, 2008 - 09:26 AM

Does anyone remember the battery operated air box mounted fans that were supposed to be "superchargers", and add like 5 hp or something? This kind of reminds me of that.

If they have a product that somehow improves filter accessibility, which is a real problem on some bikes, they should focus on the details of that benefit, and sell on that point, not on some bogus power claim.

So, what you are saying if one adds five Hp, I could buy six and get a thirty Hp jump!@ Wow??? :thumbsup:

I really feel for all those poor people out there that are unable to see through all the smoke and mirrors.

One day a bridge, the next, an air filter.

• 25cameron25

Posted November 28, 2008 - 08:00 AM

Transworld did a Product Report on these....they got a 10 and they said they immediately noticed power gains and it was very easy to change. the misses column was none!

• Ga450owner

Posted November 28, 2008 - 08:11 AM

hmm, another Mag testing a new product.... still ain't buying it, 5hp is too far fetched

• 25cameron25

Posted November 28, 2008 - 10:05 AM

i would doubt 5 hp to but they said a noticeable differnce. and i always feel like my twin air is a pain in the arse to seal. and i am afraid someday it isnt going to seal. so i think i will get one. but i wish thumpertalk carried it!!!

• grayracer513

Posted November 28, 2008 - 11:03 AM

I have had more than one rider report a "noticeable difference" when I had in fact done nothing whatsoever to the bike. :bonk:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.