dirt sneaking into the carb of my 06 yz450f!?

10 replies to this topic
  • gerardlane

Posted July 12, 2008 - 10:59 AM

Hey, I have been noticing a lot of dirt in my intake tube when i take my filter out. I had problems starting it today and when i got home i took the subframe out and vwalla! my idle jet was totally plugged with dirt!
I run a twin air powerflow kit with no backfire screen and use no toil. But this could not be an airfilter problem because there was a lot of dirt in my intake!!! could it be the seam??? where else could air and dirt sneak in? Thanks

• bigred455

Posted July 12, 2008 - 12:45 PM

Check the clamp that is inside of your airbox,it holds the airfilter cage assembly,you will see a allen head. Did you have the subframe off before? Reason I ask is,the air boot might have not been all the way on to the bell side of the carb. Do you wipe under the subframe rails inside the airbox when you take your airfilter out? Also when you wash the bike, put a plastic bag over the airfilter,you will be suprised how water can push dirt.

• gerardlane

Posted July 13, 2008 - 12:53 AM

cool ill check the cage assembly. Its not the boot on the carb or water though its dust inside and a lot of it. thanks

• KJ790

Posted July 13, 2008 - 07:51 AM

Hey, I have been noticing a lot of dirt in my intake tube when i take my filter out. I had problems starting it today and when i got home i took the subframe out and vwalla! my idle jet was totally plugged with dirt!
I run a twin air powerflow kit with no backfire screen and use no toil. But this could not be an airfilter problem because there was a lot of dirt in my intake!!! could it be the seam??? where else could air and dirt sneak in? Thanks

Sounds like you are not oiling your filter well enough and are not changing it often enough. If you are riding in very fine dust you need to change it often of it will suck through the filter and into your engine. If you have already sucked enough dust into your engine to plug the carb, odds are you have damaged the valves as well. Keep an eye on your valve clearance, as it will probably be tightening up quickly and you will most likely have short lived valves.

• grayracer513

Posted July 13, 2008 - 08:10 AM

Sounds like you are not oiling your filter well enough and are not changing it often enough. If you are riding in very fine dust you need to change it often of it will suck through the filter and into your engine.

I was thinking that. Here in southern SoCal, I usually change the filter after each ride.

And, you're right; the oil is the only thing that makes them a filter. Without that, they won't stop dust at all.

A mis-positioned air boot is still a possibility, though.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XRYoda

Posted July 13, 2008 - 08:11 PM

It is the no toil, IMO. Had the same problem years ago when i tried the product. Went back to my old filter oil, viola, no more dust.

• grayracer513

Posted July 13, 2008 - 08:26 PM

I don't like No-Toil, either. Tried it. Threw it away.

• Jim813

Posted July 14, 2008 - 07:55 AM

Dont mean to change the thread, but what filter oil do you use/reccomend?

• grayracer513

Posted July 14, 2008 - 08:20 AM

Maxima FFT

• gerardlane

Posted July 14, 2008 - 08:37 AM

I heard some stuff about no toil but seriously there is a lot of dirt in my bike. I just checked my valves too and i was allready tight in a valve the last time i checked was only 4 hours ago!
I took the boot apart and could not see any leaks. I clean my filter every day of riding or hour of ride time. It may be also that i have not oiled it properly i stuck my filter in a bag and oiled it up pretty good this time ill let you know how it goes, thanks for the help!

• KJ790

Posted July 14, 2008 - 12:29 PM

I like the Belray foam filter oil the best. Maxima FFT would be my second favorite. The FFT is too thin for me, it is easy to work around but I end up having more drip out on the floor than anything. The belray is a little thicker when you apply it, so for me there is less waste. Both oils tack up really nice after about 10 minutes.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.