Australians ride harder than everyone else or something?

24 replies to this topic
  • WR450FGreg

Posted July 11, 2008 - 02:28 PM

Here's a strange thing .......

I just noticed in my '08 WR450F Owners Service Manual that the standard fork oil level differs between Australian/New Zealand/Zambian bikes and those sold in America and the rest of the world!

It says:
125mm (4.92") for us
132mm (5.20") for the rest of the world

Go figure!!
My forks bottom out way too easily with this amount of oil. Surely you guys don't run even softer forks? This can't be true.

Out of curiousity.... what do your US manuals say?

Greg

• erickdj

Posted July 11, 2008 - 03:14 PM

Here's a strange thing .......

I just noticed in my '08 WR450F Owners Service Manual that the standard fork oil level differs between Australian/New Zealand/Zambian bikes and those sold in America and the rest of the world!

It says:
125mm (4.92") for us
132mm (5.20") for the rest of the world

Go figure!!
My forks bottom out way too easily with this amount of oil. Surely you guys don't run even softer forks? This can't be true.

Out of curiousity.... what do your US manuals say?

Greg

I'm inclined to believe that it has something to do with the WR's being street legal in australia, and not over here in north america. Other than that, I have no idea.

• WR450FGreg

Posted July 11, 2008 - 03:20 PM

I'm inclined to believe that it has something to do with the WR's being street legal in australia, and not over here in north america

erick,
Yeah, I guess that's a feasible assumption, but surely the forks would be soft on the street-permitted bike?

Weird isn't it? :thumbsup:

Greg

• Demo_Slug

Posted July 11, 2008 - 07:41 PM

maybe they figure you guys ride with a sheep under each arm?? so they bump up the spring rate

• Mrmonk7663

Posted July 11, 2008 - 08:21 PM

a sheep? no no its the roos they carry :thumbsup:

• dazzabb

Posted July 11, 2008 - 11:20 PM

Greg,

Dunno if you read ADB Mag over in Aus, but in a recent edition they had seen that the fork oil height on 08 WR450's varied between 110-160mm both between bikes and on the same bikes - and thats direct from the Yamaha factory!

I'm sure that yamaha are not any worse than the other manufacturese but makes you think all the same................

• Demo_Slug

Posted July 11, 2008 - 11:25 PM

:thumbsup:

the sheep are their girl freinds from newzeland.:thumbsup:

• SID013

Posted July 12, 2008 - 12:52 AM

:thumbsup:

the sheep are their girl freinds from newzeland.:thumbsup:

The sheep are a lot cleaner in New Zealand thats why we get them from there. :thumbsup:

• durt 51

Posted July 12, 2008 - 01:13 AM

hmmm, here goes. They cary Roos we carry sheep (and the silver wear lol, sorry guys had to throw that one in there?)

says a South Australian living in the Waikato

• ppennings

Posted July 12, 2008 - 06:18 PM

We are definately better, faster and tougher riders here.
No doubt about that
None whatsoever!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • durt 51

Posted July 13, 2008 - 03:09 AM

I may be livin' in NZ but I am still AIS rider flying the boxing roo flag. You are right the sheep are cleaner here. Believe it or not they actually have more wallbys here than we do back home. The Petrol is cheeper, the roads are better, the girls are.....

well......

um....

better....

yes they are better...

better left alone! lol

I found myself riding thru the Rotorua forest and there were alot of the ittle buggars.

But The Beer is better here, it dosnt give you the shitz like the Evil XXXX or the soft Fosters. Not that I drink that much...whooo hooo after August its P A R T Y time.

(personal post to wind up my Kiwi Wife and our Kiwi Riding Buddies)

• RSAthump

Posted July 13, 2008 - 07:10 AM

:thumbsup: How do Aussies Find sheep in tall grass???? Brilliant..:thumbsup:

• darkob121

Posted July 14, 2008 - 09:11 PM

Yeah so I was just floating around when I came across this post. I couldn't help but respond to this, even thou I don't post very often. There is a very good reason we run heavier fork oil, and it has nothing to do with silly things like roos.

It's because we have gargantuanly oversize testicles.......which puts extra load on our forks.........(I'll be leaving that one alone) We Aussie blokes don't like to talk about it too much as we don't like making our seppo (Yanks) mates feel bad........but that's the truth. We got bigger balls.

• grayracer513

Posted July 15, 2008 - 11:26 AM

maybe they figure you guys ride with a sheep under each arm?? so they bump up the spring rate

The sheep paid for it, they should be able to ride on it. :thumbsup:

The US manual says the same thing: USA/CDN 132mm, Euro,Australia, NZ 125mm.

• gregwr450f

Posted July 15, 2008 - 03:36 PM

I carry an extra 5pounds.

• willy_fitz

Posted July 16, 2008 - 11:07 AM

Here in the Great White North we used to get the Euro version of the WR. Then we got old, fat and slow. Now we get the US version :thumbsup:
This should cause some fun :thumbsup:

• matt4x4

Posted July 16, 2008 - 11:16 AM

It's called "CREATIVE MARKETING" - notice how many Aussies buy Yamaha's because of it???

New slogan for 09:

"When you make a man feel big about his manhood, he'll buy a Yamaha"

Really though, even cars have higher spring rates in Europe, maybe it's because of speed limits and associated requirements - what's the typical highway speed limit in Australia??

(and NO - I fully understand Australia is NOT in Europe - however, seems to be rolled into European standards due to having been assoc. with them brits!)

• beezer

Posted July 16, 2008 - 11:50 AM

Canada does have some really fast riders.

Let see there is....................

Erin Bates?

• gregwr450f

Posted July 16, 2008 - 11:53 AM

It's called "CREATIVE MARKETING" - notice how many Aussies buy Yamaha's because of it???

New slogan for 09:

"When you make a man feel big about his manhood, he'll buy a Yamaha"

Really though, even cars have higher spring rates in Europe, maybe it's because of speed limits and associated requirements - what's the typical highway speed limit in Australia??

(and NO - I fully understand Australia is NOT in Europe - however, seems to be rolled into European standards due to having been assoc. with them brits!)

h/way speed =100 kph (62mph)
freeway speed = 110kph (68mph)

Both are too bloody slow.:thumbsup:

• willy_fitz

Posted July 16, 2008 - 06:38 PM

Jake Stapleton (Aussie) is riding the Canadian Motorcycle Assoc. National Hare Scrambles Series and is kicking our back bacon filled butts here in Ontario. :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.