Dirt Rider Tests the 09 YZ450

10 replies to this topic
  • adamdf

Posted July 11, 2008 - 12:28 PM

This test trumps the racerx test by far. But as with all tests, take them for what they are, a group of rider's findings, not necessarily always universal.

http://www.dirtrider...450f/index.html

Edit: I just read the whole test, it appears this is an actual test VS the TWMX and Racerx "press tests", Dirt Rider actually has 10 hours on the bike, plus they used different test riders with varying ability and allowed them to share their opinions. Basically they put on of their "printed tests" on the web, it seems like something new they have started doing, and its pretty decent in my opinion. One cool thing they did, was allow their dirt rider forum members to ask questions about the bike, they then posted the questions along with the answers on the last page of the test, pretty good and you have to give them credit for thinking outside the box since noone else has done this as yet.

I know i have been critical of magazine tests like the ones we have seen online, but this one actually has some substance to it. :thumbsup:

• Ga426owner

Posted July 11, 2008 - 12:48 PM

Wow is the DirtRider staff having a change of heart regarding Yamahas?
Nice positive article for a change....now for 09 the strange incorrect feeling of lack of power/wait no its just not as loud/no it's just too smooth power actually is a good thing.....hmm
Funny part was the addition of a new pipe will mean the suspension must be changed....
All in all a good review :thumbsup:
Thanks for sharing Adam

• Wiz636

Posted July 11, 2008 - 01:51 PM

"corners like a Suzuki" Wow!

• DPW

Posted July 11, 2008 - 05:07 PM

sounds a lot like the '08 when they describe the power and muffler...

• Justin89

Posted July 11, 2008 - 06:17 PM

Why is it 8lbs heavier...the new swinger? That bike definately looks solid and ready to race right off the showroom floor:worthy: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bigred455

Posted July 11, 2008 - 08:38 PM

I have to say,they are smart enough to figure out that 105mm of race sag is the ticket.I have set all my 4 strokes up like this in the past and present 105-108mm. I still am at a disbelief that majority of riders on this forum set their sag at 95-97 for MX.:thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted July 11, 2008 - 10:45 PM

The '06-'07 was different from the revised steering geometry of the '08-'09. You may remember all the mags bagging the '06-'07 for turning issues, and then suddenly, most of them changed their tune when the '08 showed up.

MXA was one of the first ones to note the effect that sag had on the '06. From their '06 test:

It is very important to run your sag at 98mm. The bike is more stable at that setting. If you want to have the rear end hang down a little lower, you can achieve that by turning the high-speed compression dial out a quarter of a turn. As for the compression and rebound, we left them alone.

Full test:

http://www.motocross...92CB8876BD9F591

In any case, sag is less a science than a matter of personal preference. Mine steers more precisely at 95-97.

• bigred455

Posted July 12, 2008 - 12:52 PM

In any case, sag is less a science than a matter of personal preference. Mine steers more precisely at 95-97.

I totally agree,I do however cant see 95-97 with me on board. I am sure you cannot work with 105-108mm,like you said personal preference.:thumbsup:

• yz007f

Posted July 13, 2008 - 07:31 AM

It is all personal preference I really dont think you want to ride with 105mm sag on a dry slick track also not to mention running your clickers harder at that point. If guys would try playing with a tighter sag like lets say 98mm on a dry slick track for more front end traction they would understand that it works well with the right clicker settings. It sounds like to me they were running the bike on tacky conditions with alot of ruts and loose berms.

• YamaLink

Posted July 13, 2008 - 09:36 AM

Perfectly said!:thumbsup:

Throw in tire knob height, fork placement in triple clamps, body positioning, etc., and it does come down to personal bike setup.

• adamdf

Posted July 13, 2008 - 04:33 PM

It is all personal preference I really dont think you want to ride with 105mm sag on a dry slick track also not to mention running your clickers harder at that point. If guys would try playing with a tighter sag like lets say 98mm on a dry slick track for more front end traction they would understand that it works well with the right clicker settings. It sounds like to me they were running the bike on tacky conditions with alot of ruts and loose berms.

You also should remember that running less sag decreases rear end traction. So once again, it is personal preference, if you front wheel is biting but your just spinning the rear, your setup would be considered not properly balanced in my opinion. That was the case with me up to today on my KTM, realized i really didn't have my setup working the way it should be untill i started messing with the sag, the front end was good but the rear just wasnt hooking up, backed off on the preload and :thumbsup:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.