wr 450 servicing

6 replies to this topic
  • minty0_10

Posted July 11, 2008 - 12:18 PM

evening all just bought a 05 wr only 350 miles on the clock 1 owner from new, bad thing is its never been serviced:crazy: (only now its sinking in)

how do you go about servicing it do i fill the engine first?
the dip stick in the frame looks rather small to be putting oil in through there?
how much oil does it take with a filter change to (litres please)

how do i go about checking the valves?

last thing there a slight rattle from the clutch that go,s when the leavers pulled in. is this a common fault or have i bought a dog :thumbsup:

any help is gratefully received :thumbsup:

• WR450FGreg

Posted July 11, 2008 - 02:12 PM

minty0_10,

The best advice I can give you is to go on eBay and buy a copy of the relevant Owners Service Manual for your bike on CD.
They are usually about $10 and they tell you everything.

how do you go about servicing it do i fill the engine first?
the dip stick in the frame looks rather small to be putting oil in through there?
how much oil does it take with a filter change to (litres please)

I don't know about the '05 model, mine's an '08 (it's my first WR450F) so it's no good me trying to tell you how to do an oil change.

how do i go about checking the valves?

Get hold of that manual!

last thing there a slight rattle from the clutch that go,s when the leavers pulled in. is this a common fault or have i bought a dog

No, I think they all have rattly clutches! Mind you, if it's really loud it might be an issue.

Greg

• minty0_10

Posted July 11, 2008 - 02:17 PM

i,l get hold of that asap but i want to do an oil change tomorrow before i go for a blast.

clutch is not really noisy but is noticeable.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WR450FGreg

Posted July 11, 2008 - 02:50 PM

clutch is not really noisy but is noticeable.

Mine's done it from brand new!

Greg

• thumper tom

Posted July 12, 2008 - 11:34 AM

Hey Minty, FIrst of all congrats on your purchase you'll have lots of fun for years to come if taken care of , First thing I would do is Get a Manual, Then take the bike apart and lube and grease the swing arm , steering head and wheels if necessary, I really wouldn't worry about the valve just yet, I have a 06 with 3000 dirt miles and no valve adjust was necessary yet, Change all fluids and chek the Plug, but GET THE MANUAL AND READ IT FIRST,

Happy Motoring
TT

• Demo_Slug

Posted July 12, 2008 - 12:17 PM

minty. download a manual on PDF. its free.

http://www.yamahaown...ook.com.au/?r=0

• minty0_10

Posted July 12, 2008 - 01:19 PM

thaks for all the imfo guys sorted the service this morring :thumbsup:
not been out for a proper blast yet but seems like a fu bike so far apart from the hard seat

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.