New YZ250 Prices? How much did/would you pay?

32 replies to this topic
  • Dethklok

Posted July 10, 2008 - 09:10 PM

Hey guys I was wondering what you guys feel a fair price would be for a 08' YZ250? left over 07'?

Also if anyone knows what invoice is on a new 08' that would be great too.

• Dethklok

Posted July 11, 2008 - 03:58 PM

no one?

• shrubitup

Posted July 11, 2008 - 04:05 PM

Bought a used 07 YZ250 last month with some nice goodies including a Rekluse auto clutch installed. Smokin' blow out priced at $3,700. :thumbsup:

• SpDyKen

Posted July 11, 2008 - 04:17 PM

There is always this one: http://www.thumperta...uct=39995&cat=3

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Dethklok

Posted July 11, 2008 - 05:23 PM

I was really wondering more about prices new from a dealership? And I want to know invoice simply so when I go into my local yami dealer I already know how low they really can go.

ShrubItUp - that is a smokin deal on an 07' tho!

SpDyKen - Good lookin YZ a bit too far for my NY'er ass tho

• rm125ridwe

Posted July 11, 2008 - 06:03 PM

last october i bought my 07 for 4900 otd with all tax paid and title brand new

• SpDyKen

Posted July 11, 2008 - 06:05 PM

I can ship it, no problem!

• RCannon

Posted July 11, 2008 - 07:02 PM

No one will sell you a new yz 250 for invoice. Invoice is a bs price anyway as there are many factors different from invoice and "dealer cost. Used can offer some very nice deals.

Few new Yz 250's are left. I have not seen an 08 for months. 09 is probably very limited in production and the supply will dry up soon.
If you can get one for 6k OTD, your doing well.

Ask anyone with a "Killer bud price" to please post the dealer paperwork and I will change my mind. When a desireable bike that lists for 6299.00 (an 07) went otd with tax, licence, doc fee, freight and assembly and god only knows what else...then we'll talk.

Now, in late 06, we found some deals... Mine was 5600.00 otd with a free 300.00 torque wrench and a 200.00 rebate check sent to the house from yamaha a few months later......OK, so the torque wrench was one of those deals as it happend a year and a half later.....

The cheapest new 06 I saw (in 11-06) locally was 4700.00 otd with everything.

I am afraid now is a terrible time to buy a yz 250. You will find much more discounting on the 4t's as these are everywhere. They say dirt bike sales have dropped about 40% in the last few months. When shops are in crisis, they dont even notice the 1-2 yz 250's they have left. Those will go to the diehards who will ask for them. The floor gets filled with discounted 4t's.

• OREGONMX

Posted July 11, 2008 - 07:43 PM

My situation might be a little different because when I bought my bike dealers had not yet completely given up on two strokes- even though it was clear to anyone at the track that people were done buying them. Here's the story of when I bought my bike- I was very proud of the outcome- enjoy.

I bought my 06 YZ250 in August of 2006. The dealer had two 06's that had been sitting on the floor for a year and had two brand news 07's on the floor as well. They had a sticker on the 06's that said $5100. The 07's MSRP was about $6400 + all the dealer fees. I was determined to buy that 06 for $5100 OTD.

First off- I only had about half the cash I needed but I knew if I used their financing they would be able to muscle me into paying more than I wanted. A few days before I went in- I went to the credit union we belong to and got pre-approved for a loan for the rest of the money so in all respects I walked in there with cash in hand.

I went in there, told them that I wanted one of those 06's for the sticker price of $5100. The salesguy was a nice enough guy but he totally played the game of having me write down my "bottom dollar" price so he could take it to his sales manager. He kept telling me that there was just no way they could sell it for that price because they had to charge me for freight fees, dealership fees and a bunch of other stuff. Everytime I just wrote down $5100 and he would tell me his boss said no but could offer me a lower price "just this once."

This went on for about an hour. I finally told the guy, "look, you have four two-stroke YZ's sitting on your showroom floor. Two of them have been here for a year. I know that no one is buying these from you guys. Either you sell it to me today for $5100 and make your $50 bucks or whatever off of me or your are going to make nothing because I am leaving. "That's my final offer.":applause:

All this time- he assumed I was going to finance the bike using their bogus 3,000,000% dealer loan. After we agreed on the price- I broke the news to him that I only had half the cash but was pre-approved at my credit union.

That kind of pissed him off because he then had to spend a bunch more time talking with the lady at the credit union to get that part all squared away.

Was that a good deal? I thought so. I was very proud that I stuck to my guns and walked out of that place with a brand new 06 YZ250 for exactly what I wanted to pay.:thumbsup:

Good luck

• RCannon

Posted July 11, 2008 - 08:07 PM

Was that a good deal? I thought so. I was very proud that I stuck to my guns and walked out of that place with a brand new 06 YZ250 for exactly what I wanted to pay.:thumbsup:

Good luck[/QUOTE]

THATS THE POINT!!!!!!! You also did not dick around for 6 months trying to save another 3-400 dollars and enjoyed a riding season on it. Thats where it at.

A year from now a person could care less what they paid..good or bad. Its about using the damn thing.

However, some young kids get screwed with interest rates. Dont let them finance you at 20%...and I have seen higher.

I have spent enough on "hop ups" ha! ha! that the original price of the bike is meaningless. I THINK maybe one or two of you have as well!

• Dethklok

Posted July 11, 2008 - 10:42 PM

Oh no when I ask for invoice I just want to get a feel for what they get them for, I dont expect to only pay invoice.

They have a used 06' but honestly it looks beat to hell...I do know that they allow employees to take the used bikes out over the weekends when theyre close and they did admit one of the guys had been takin it out the past few weekends :thumbsup:

Well I believe the guy said he could get me an 08' for $5,600 or around there, I cant remeber exactally...which seems like a decent price to me especially if I could get it for that OTD. I know how to negotiate...but then again I play hardball a little too hard at times and step on toes...but, especially when it comes to stealerships, its in their best interest to work with the customer and not be stubborn bastards, imo.

I would hope this place can get me an 08' if not hunt me down an 07' for how much they pump themselves up to be...In all honesty I wish I had a friend who worked at a dealership...not for a "hook-up" or "friend discount"...just for the simple fact that I could get some REAL reasurance that they were not going to screw me.

• dtkiko

Posted July 12, 2008 - 04:05 AM

There is always this one: http://www.thumperta...uct=39995&cat=3

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :bonk: :thumbsup:

[COLOR="Blue"]dang, where were you my '06 when i was looking for you last year?!

i could have saved US$2k!!! :thumbsup: [/COLOR]

• RCannon

Posted July 12, 2008 - 05:52 AM

[quote name='Dethklok']Oh no when I ask for invoice I just want to get a feel for what they get them for, I dont expect to only pay invoice.

I know you know how to deal with dealers. Thsi is for th ebenefit of the kids who may not have had the pleasure of dealing with new biek sales.

In all honesty, I sold motorcycles for two consecutive summers. There was no way in hell I could have told you the "real" price of the bike. Yes, I saw all the books, but depending which book you opened........

Then there were the bikes that needed to sell. For us, that was the 1987 Honda Nighthawk S. Everyone wanted Honda Hurricanes. The "S" went fr far less than we were into it. PLUS it also offered the salesman 400.00 in cash to move one.

The Huricanes were tough. They sold for list, high freight, high set-up and anything else that could be added in. We had a limited number of them in red and white and that was the hot color. We had to re order the red and white bikes, but black was no problem. Along the line Honda increased the price on them 1000.00.....So, for a few months a red and white 600 hurricane started at 4098.00 and a black one was 3098.00...no scam attached. At that time dealer cost on the red/white was 3620.00...the black cost was 2648.00 I remember the figures as I sold so many of them.

GSXR's were a strong mover. Even if a guy came in with all the info on cost, big deal. We had 25 to last the entire summer. Any discounts were for friends and family. Everyone else paid list. WHY??? because we could.

The Cr 125 and CR 250 also took a thousand dollar price hit. No one even noticed. MX guys want and need the bike.

The salesman typically got 10% of the profit. Great deal when you beat me down to 2750.00 on the Hurricane, right? that left a grand total of 10.00 in my wallet. Not bad for 5 hours work...LOL Not exactly...The only way you got that price was if I knew you would get the extended warranty and be willing to pay freight and set up of 369.23. My 10 bucks just turned into 300-400...thats ok for 5 hours work. That freight number was pulled out of my butt..just as all of them are. Bottom line is this. They have to make money to stay around.
One local place here now charges a set schedule depending on displacement. I know a CRF 450 had freight and set-up charges of 498.00.

Dont even ask about the bike price. Speak in terms of "OTD" If the sales guy tries to go back to the bike price, get up and head towards the door.....grab your phone...light a cig...light a joint......whatever. Tease the small child with you until he or she screams. Let them make the first offer and show the breakdown. Then start the haggling and tear each line item apart. If they try doc fees on you, urinate on the floor.

My best customer was a famous local millionaire who was basically too tall to ride a motorcycle due to the sport he played, but he loved bikes of all kinds. He had a cell phone...as did his friends. Back then, no one had them. "Carl" would walk in and say, I will give you "X" for that bike. It was then up to me to make it happen. His price was always 5-10% low, but who the hell cared? Every bike he bought would be delivered by me to his compound. Then they fed me, let me hang out, let me partake in some of the substances available, and his smoking hot wife would drive me back to the shop. Oh yea, he also tipped me for the delivery ....200-300 depending on the bike, and I never had to buy tickets to sporting events. In all seriousness he got the best deal out of anyone. He never negotiated, was holding a check book, and ready to pay. On a 10,000 bike he would offer 9000.00....a hell of a discount since 9k was the bottom line, end of story.

********Highlight time important*************

Whatever you do, NEVER answer "How much do you want your payment to be" That always made me see dollar signs. EVERYONE says 200.00 per month. Lets do some basic math. With good credit , 4 year loans are no big deal. 200 x 48 equals 9600.00 dollars. Do you suppose I could fit a 6000.00 dollar dirt bike under that limit? I bet I can!

You then go back with a payment of 187.85 per month and get the guy to sign. His 6000 K yz 250 now went to 8200.00 after the warranty, freight, set-up, free helmet, tie downs, etc went in. Oh yea, he probably paid 16% interest.

• Dethklok

Posted July 12, 2008 - 01:02 PM

that is an excellent write up on how to deal with dealers, Im with you 100% on that.

I am a young kid I guess (23) which I feel works against me...some guys think they can milk me for all I got...others ignore me thinking Im tire kicking (one of the problems Im having right now actually, guys been ignoring me for about 4 days now no return e-mails/calls) so I just e-mailed his boss directly.

Oddly when I was just browsing around on the internet Im finding more places that have 07's than any 08's :thumbsup: whatever I just want a fair deal...that was really the point of this thead I guess...what do you guys feel is a fair OTD price for a brand new YZ250.

• shrubitup

Posted July 12, 2008 - 03:14 PM

4999 OTD (if you could get that on a 07) would be a nice price.

I think key for you is to find a dealer that hasn't sold too many smokers. Find one where the market is fully drunk on the 4-broke Kool Aid.

• YZ-2-Strokin

Posted July 12, 2008 - 08:09 PM

No one will sell you a new yz 250 for invoice. Invoice is a bs price anyway as there are many factors different from invoice and "dealer cost. Used can offer some very nice deals.

Few new Yz 250's are left. I have not seen an 08 for months. 09 is probably very limited in production and the supply will dry up soon.
If you can get one for 6k OTD, your doing well.

Ask anyone with a "Killer bud price" to please post the dealer paperwork and I will change my mind. When a desireable bike that lists for 6299.00 (an 07) went otd with tax, licence, doc fee, freight and assembly and god only knows what else...then we'll talk.

Now, in late 06, we found some deals... Mine was 5600.00 otd with a free 300.00 torque wrench and a 200.00 rebate check sent to the house from yamaha a few months later......OK, so the torque wrench was one of those deals as it happend a year and a half later.....

The cheapest new 06 I saw (in 11-06) locally was 4700.00 otd with everything.

I am afraid now is a terrible time to buy a yz 250. You will find much more discounting on the 4t's as these are everywhere. They say dirt bike sales have dropped about 40% in the last few months. When shops are in crisis, they dont even notice the 1-2 yz 250's they have left. Those will go to the diehards who will ask for them. The floor gets filled with discounted 4t's.

There is a dealership close by thats getting ready to close up shop because like you said, sales have dropped like no other.

Even the other shops here in town are loosing pretty big because no one is buying, but then again one of the shops like Clawson honda :thumbsup: rips everyone off, full of complete morons that are rude (most) & charge you WAY more compared to other shops & wont price match the dealers themselves!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: That place kills me...

• RTSinDallas

Posted July 14, 2008 - 05:46 PM

I would think the dealers would be selling a ton of street bikes and scooters with gas over $4.00.

• Redlines

Posted July 15, 2008 - 01:18 AM

Heinens in MN had some new 07's for $4800 OTD might want to check with them. I got mine shipped to CA for $5150 OTD and there are VERY FEW NEW YZ 250's left in CA

• Dethklok

Posted July 15, 2008 - 10:45 AM

Damn I'll def have to check them out...probally all sold by now but more than worth it to atleast check.

Im havin a lot of trouble tracking down a 08' found a decent amount of 07's I still have to call on...might just go used found a 06' that looks like its in good shape right by me.

• pieplatesnductape

Posted July 15, 2008 - 10:56 AM

laweranceville Yamaha in Georgia had an 06 yz250 new left over adv at 5199.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

different year plastics by YJB006

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Revalving a Factory Connection KYB SSS Revalve by C-P

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  42 replies
Forums
Photo

10 Best Mods For The 2006 Yamaha Yz250 by thebearYZ250

• Hot  27 replies
Forums
Photo

2001 YZ250 resto project by yamerhaaa304

• Hot  24 replies
Forums
Photo

2014 yz250 Gearbox Problems by Hoffy77

• 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.