Quiet down the Beast-Looking for baffle/damper

5 replies to this topic
  • hazey123

Posted July 10, 2008 - 01:05 PM

Hey Gang, I bought a 02 wr 426 and love the power. I do however need to quiet her down for when I need to ride behind the neighborhood. The previous owner removed the muffler insert I think its called a baffle? Does anyone have one that they removed that they want to sell or donate to a fellow rider?

Also, will I need to change the jetting or anything else when I reinstall the insert? The PO changed the main to a 170 and it is running fine now. I would like to be able to use it when necessary and pull when it isn't but only if it doesn't require a jet change or any other tweaking.

Thanks Gang!

• William1

Posted July 10, 2008 - 01:26 PM

You probably will need to go down a main jet size with insert in and possibly lower the needle a clip too. But get the insert and try it before you 'mess with the jets'. Suddenly, I see Natalie Wood in my head......

• swede426

Posted July 10, 2008 - 01:34 PM

Hey Gang, I bought a 02 wr 426 and love the power. I do however need to quiet her down for when I need to ride behind the neighborhood. The previous owner removed the muffler insert I think its called a baffle? Does anyone have one that they removed that they want to sell or donate to a fellow rider?

Also, will I need to change the jetting or anything else when I reinstall the insert? The PO changed the main to a 170 and it is running fine now. I would like to be able to use it when necessary and pull when it isn't but only if it doesn't require a jet change or any other tweaking.

Thanks Gang!

I dont know if you have welding knowledge. but I did cut mine up and removed the stock insert and made another that I now can take out and put in depending on where I ride and the only tool I need is a 10mm wrench(one 6mm bolt).

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JSanfilippo

Posted July 10, 2008 - 07:34 PM

You probably will need to go down a main jet size with insert in and possibly lower the needle a clip too. But get the insert and try it before you 'mess with the jets'. Suddenly, I see Natalie Wood in my head......

lowering the clip raises the needle thus making the jetting fatter not leaner

• creeky

Posted July 11, 2008 - 02:44 AM

These people www.powerpartsplus.com have an insert for WRs that works very well. The part # is GYT-5TJ93-75-00.

• husqvarnarider

Posted July 11, 2008 - 03:25 AM

Yeah, I run the GYT-R insert in my WR 400. Quiets it down substantially, but still has plenty of power. Very easy to remove/replace also :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.