WR 400 Fixed hanging idle

5 replies to this topic
  • Frostbite

Posted July 10, 2008 - 09:56 AM

I've seen a few posts lately on hanging idle. My 99 WR was also hanging, so I checked out the carb. Generally a hanging idle is caused by a small air leak.

I found 3 problems:

1 - a split in the small air hose that connects the hot start T to the intake manifold. I turned the hose for the pic. The crack was on the underside, so not visible.

Posted Image

2 - A split in one of the small air hoses on the side of the carb. The hole is on the inside of hose near the tip of the screwdriver.

Posted Image

Posted Image

3 - Stuck plunger on the side of the carb.

Posted Image

I fixed all 3 at the same time, and the hanging idle was cured when I fired up the engine, so I'm not sure exactly what fixed the problem.

The cracked hotstart hose is the most likely candidate, since it lets air bypass the carb completely. If anyone has a hanging idle, this is an easy check and repair.

The other cracked hose may have had some effect, and I can't comment on the stuck plunger since I don't know what it does.

• matt4x4

Posted July 10, 2008 - 10:52 AM

I believe (but correct me if I'm wrong) the plunger is the air cut valve, when you decellerate, it's supposed to stop/surpress the backfiring from being too lean, this part does not exist on YZ carbs - it's just left open - no diaphram or cover.......

• William1

Posted July 10, 2008 - 11:18 AM

I've seen a few posts lately on hanging idle. My 99 WR was also hanging, so I checked out the carb. Generally a hanging idle is caused by a small air leak.

I found 3 problems:

1 - a split in the small air hose that connects the hot start T to the intake manifold. I turned the hose for the pic. The crack was on the underside, so not visible.

Posted Image

2 - A split in one of the small air hoses on the side of the carb. The hole is on the inside of hose near the tip of the screwdriver.

Posted Image

Posted Image

3 - Stuck plunger on the side of the carb.

Posted Image

I fixed all 3 at the same time, and the hanging idle was cured when I fired up the engine, so I'm not sure exactly what fixed the problem.

The cracked hotstart hose is the most likely candidate, since it lets air bypass the carb completely. If anyone has a hanging idle, this is an easy check and repair.

The other cracked hose may have had some effect, and I can't comment on the stuck plunger since I don't know what it does.

LOL, all three of your fixes got you on the right path. That bike must of been a pain to cold start!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • William1

Posted July 10, 2008 - 11:19 AM

I believe (but correct me if I'm wrong) the plunger is the air cut valve, when you decellerate, it's supposed to stop/surpress the backfiring from being too lean, this part does not exist on YZ carbs - it's just left open - no diaphram or cover.......

The YZ (some models) have the same casting but none of the passage ways. Much cheaper to cast all the carbs the same, then machine each to suit the customer/bike.

You'll notice in the picture, that ACV (Automatic Coast Enricher) is actually an add on. Early style carbs did not have it as FCR's were originally designed as race carbs.

• matt4x4

Posted July 10, 2008 - 11:32 AM

Guess you don't "coast" when racing - hehe...
Yes, I was pretty sure YZ's didn't make use of it.

• brendanwr400

Posted September 30, 2009 - 12:24 AM

i had the same problem it was the stuck plunger

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.