Looking for speed.

8 replies to this topic
  • Cabo-Cowboy

Posted May 29, 2002 - 10:04 AM

My stock (with all free mods)2002 WR needs more top end.I would like to know what gears it would take to see 100 mph.What are some combos you guys use and with what results?
My first race here in Baja gained 2nd.But got ate for lunch by a red and white blur.You know the type.Next race is June 22,300km.

• SFO

Posted May 29, 2002 - 02:44 PM

With my 97mm motor I ran 15/42 and never got passed by the red and white brotherhood.
I was only playing but the 4 650r's with me wanted to know what was up...
I think it will pull more gear too.

• Cabo-Cowboy

Posted May 29, 2002 - 04:41 PM

SFO,Thank you.Do you have any idea what top speed was?I was going to lean towards 15/40.I dont really need 1st gear.This will be my 1st full bore desert race.Fuel capacity is my next problem.
Years,many,ago I road raced a CR500 with 39 rear with a TS of clocked,130mph.GSXR's and Ninjas did not like that.Dirt bikes behave quite differently over 80mph,on or off road.

• SFO

Posted May 29, 2002 - 07:05 PM

Originally posted by Cabo-Cowboy:
SFO,Thank you.Do you have any idea what top speed was?I was going to lean towards 15/40.I dont really need 1st gear.This will be my 1st full bore desert race.

I think 15/40 might be a touch steep for a stock motor to pull...
I would have a 14 tooth cs sprocket ready at your first pit.

Originally posted by Cabo-Cowboy:

Fuel capacity is my next problem.

How are you dealing with it?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Cabo-Cowboy

Posted May 30, 2002 - 02:02 AM

I really would like to find a tank that adds more than .8 of a gal.Ty D tank is 4.0.Im not aware of a better option.Is anyone else?

• SFO

Posted May 30, 2002 - 04:52 AM

what is your pit interval?
I was able to do 150 miles of wfo without reserve on my baja experience.
I run the ty tank.
How far do you want to go?

• Cabo-Cowboy

Posted May 30, 2002 - 06:52 AM

150 miles sounds very good.Was that with 15/42?I understand that gearing up and running at high speed can actually decrease mpg.So if you went 150 without reserve,with 15/42,then I am there.Did you change just the tank?Or did it require rad shrouds or a different seat.On the sprocket,what type of metal did you buy?
Thanks bro.

• Buckholz

Posted May 30, 2002 - 07:36 AM

My experinces with desert racing is that acceleration between 40 and 70 is way more important than performance above 70. Also, in sand washes (loaded) with tall 5th gears, they wouldn't pull the gearing, and I ended up in 4th quite frequently.

So, my message is it is better to be slightly undergeared than over.

• CrazyRonny

Posted May 31, 2002 - 05:14 AM

I have a 16/47 on mine (2001 WR426 canadian), it's still stock, no mod made at all yet(but not for long :) ), exept to put it steet lagal And I read 95 on higway on my Panoram comp but my friend who is folowing me with it's street bike said I did 100. maybe my Panoram is not adjust corectly or is bike speedo is of a little but the speed is certainly near that.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.