Headlight switch wiring mod.

3 replies to this topic
  • Lennie

Posted July 09, 2008 - 11:11 PM

Hello,

I need to put a switch to get high and low beam onto my headlight (04 WR450). I have searched around a but cant find a clear answer.

I have the three wires removed from the standard pulg, two with power and one without. I have a new plug which allows me to connect the wires to all three pins on the bulb.

This is where I get stuck, I wired it up and ended up with a switch for on/off not a high/low switch. How to i get the switch into the circuit to do high/low?

Any ideas?

Cheers

Lennie.

• Thumper_Bloke

Posted July 10, 2008 - 01:42 PM

What kind of switch do you have?
It sounds like you need a SPDT switch...
http://www.kpsec.fre...ents/switch.htm

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Lennie

Posted July 10, 2008 - 10:52 PM

Mine is the type below but I am struggling to get the wires to the correct pins.

ON-ON
Single Pole, Double Throw = SPDT
This switch can be on in both positions, switching on a separate device in each case. It is often called a changeover switch. For example, a SPDT switch can be used to switch on a red lamp in one position and a green lamp in the other position.

A SPDT toggle switch may be used as a simple on-off switch by connecting to COM and one of the A or B terminals shown in the diagram. A and B are interchangeable so switches are usually not labelled.

Posted Image

• willy_fitz

Posted July 11, 2008 - 03:16 AM

Posted Image

In my old 03 WR450F manual on Page 6-1, the wiring diagram shows two blue wires that would be "hot" coming from the original ON-OFF switch. Notice that they feed two different bulbs (the main headlight and the tail light). You state in your post you have two "hot" wires. You may find that you have disconnected the tail light and this will have to be reconnected to one of the blue wires. As for the other blue wire:

In the above diagram the +12vdc that used to go to the main headlight should now go to the "COMMON" on the switch. The other two leads from the switch should then go to the High Beam and Low Beam filaments respectively. You can use the current blue wire for the low beam and will need a new lead for the high beam. The wire with no power (BLACK) is the "Ground" and does not need to be modified.

If you have removed the ON-OFF switch, you could connect the YELLOW lead to the "COMMON" on the switch and splice in a lead from the YELLOW to the tail light.
The wiring to the headlight would be as above.

I recently retired from repairing / maintaining instrumentation for nuclear reactors so I know something about this stuff :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.