yz400....yamabog

12 replies to this topic
  • frankllynn

Posted July 09, 2008 - 08:04 PM

I have a 98 yz400. Runs great ecxept for the off idle bog. Its not bad but it does bother me. I would love to get this fixed if possible. I live in TN and ride from o to 6000ft. I currently have a 170 main jet a 48 pj I have done the taffy mod and played with the fuel screw to many times to count. Everything else in stock. I have tried a 175 and 180 mj. I have also tried a 45 pj. I also have a wirtz acc pump cover. Anyone ever get this worked out or is it not possible? Anyone have any jetting suggestions? Thanks guys

• matt4x4

Posted July 10, 2008 - 03:41 AM

I had it too after a winter carb cleaning and adding a WB E series - I got the jetting all dialed in but the bog was continuous - I turned the AP timing screw in just a hair (maybe 1/8th of a turn and it completely eliminated it - likely advanced my AP squirt just a split second - it was enough to make a huge difference.

I'm wondering if there wasn't possibly just enough grime buildup on the screw end, the AP push rod ends and the AP diaphram (where the pushrod touches) that once cleaned off changed the AP timing just that tiny bit that I had to adjust the screw........seemed to make sense to me at teh time since the whole AP control circuit was pretty filthy.

• frankllynn

Posted July 10, 2008 - 02:25 PM

What jetting are you guys running on the yz400

• matt4x4

Posted July 11, 2008 - 04:33 AM

Mine's a WR so Jetting will be different.

• 1998YZ400F

Posted July 11, 2008 - 01:52 PM

i have a 180 MJ and the stock PJ. i think the problem is the AP. either it needs to be replaced, or needs to squirt a tiny bit earlier like matt4x4 did.

• frankllynn

Posted July 11, 2008 - 02:01 PM

what is the ap screw

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • frankllynn

Posted July 11, 2008 - 05:02 PM

Ok I know what it is now but I dont think the 98400 has it. If it does can someone show me a picture.

• frankllynn

Posted July 12, 2008 - 05:23 PM

anyone?

• husky300racer

Posted July 12, 2008 - 05:29 PM

I also have a 98 yz400f. I had the same problem. I tried everything,jetting,fuelscrew,but in the end I replaced my ap diaphram. and it took care of all my bog.

• frankllynn

Posted July 12, 2008 - 06:22 PM

did you get the stock one or a different size one

• mxdon1

Posted July 13, 2008 - 05:44 AM

I have a 2001 YZ426 and had the same problem specially when climing a hill plus it would take forever to start. So I sent my carb to Zip-ty racing and they did their mods for 120 bucks and bamm! My bike starts on the first kick with no hesitation what so ever. This is by far the best mod I have ever done for my bike and I recommend this to anyone with an older bike. Just my two cents, hope it helps.

• husky300racer

Posted July 13, 2008 - 05:49 AM

I replaced with the stock size diaphram,I think it's around $20

• frankllynn

Posted July 13, 2008 - 09:28 AM

I will try that first. The diaphram looked like it needed to be replaced anyway.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.