'06 to '08 450...suggestions?

12 replies to this topic
  • Wiz636

Posted July 09, 2008 - 06:39 AM

Picking up my new '08 this afternoon and will be moving several parts over from my '06 (stabilizer, bars, handguards, etc, etc.) but I wanted to get some thoughts from the forum on a couple ideas.

Exhaust: It seems pretty evident that the '08 exhaust sucks. Right now I have a full Leo Vince X-3 system on my '06 that I could use, or I have the stock '06 exhaust that I could use. I could even keep both and throw the '08 stock exhaust on the '06 and sell it, right? Recommendations?

Carburetor: The carb on my '06 has had the Zipty Racing carb mod done to it...should I throw that on the '08 or did Yamaha tweak the '07 and '08 carbs enough that the Zipty mod is not necessary? :thumbsup:

Any other tips or recommendations?

• krackhead

Posted July 09, 2008 - 06:53 AM

The 08 exhaust will not fit the 06, but the 06 will fit the 08. The 08 header is a tad bid larger in diameter, so it will not fit the 06.

• Ga426owner

Posted July 09, 2008 - 06:54 AM

Wiz everybody will have suggestions of what they want and what they did. I suggest you get the bike and leave it stock (except for maybe the chain) for the motor/suspension breakin as well as compare it to your 06 during the first 1-5/10 hrs. Then consider adding/subtracting according to your likes/dislike. You may prefer the power band where it is, you may not. Then figure out which exhaust suits your riding style. (power in low to mid, or mid to high or across entire RPM range)This will give you an idea of what it really needs. my 1.15cents.....worth of advice:thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted July 09, 2008 - 08:13 AM

The 08 exhaust will not fit the 06, but the 06 will fit the 08. The 08 header is a tad bid larger in diameter, so it will not fit the 06.

Incorrect.

The complete '08 exhaust will bolt directly onto an '06, since the header is the same size at the head. Conversely, the complete exhaust from an '06 or '07 will bolt directly onto the '08.

Wiz, if you have time to experiment, you should. The modified carb may work very well, but it will likely take a bit of jetting to get it dialed for the '08 cams. I don't see a reason not to use your Leo Vince on the new bike, though.

If you have a weighted flywheel on the '06, I'd move that over, too.

• KAS

Posted July 09, 2008 - 08:39 AM

If you don't already, you'll need the new stabilizer tower for the '08. The '06/'07 design will not fit the new frame.

It looks like this:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=660287

• Wiz636

Posted July 09, 2008 - 08:46 AM

If you don't already, you'll need the new stabilizer tower for the '08. The '06/'07 design will not fit the new frame.

It looks like this:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=660287

Thanks KAS, I already called Scotts this morning but they don't open until 10:00 (slackers!).

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Wiz636

Posted July 09, 2008 - 08:49 AM

Incorrect.

The complete '08 exhaust will bolt directly onto an '06, since the header is the same size at the head. Conversely, the complete exhaust from an '06 or '07 will bolt directly onto the '08.

Wiz, if you have time to experiment, you should. The modified carb may work very well, but it will likely take a bit of jetting to get it dialed for the '08 cams. I don't see a reason not to use your Leo Vince on the new bike, though.

I think that is what I will do...move the Leo Vince over right away (I have to have the spark arrestor so the stock exhaust is not really an option anyways) and then just ride it for awhile. Then I will try throwing the modded carb on with '08 jetting.

• DPW

Posted July 09, 2008 - 09:51 AM

congrats on the new bike! I would follow Ga426owner's advice first and see how the stock bike works for you.

• krackhead

Posted July 09, 2008 - 10:39 AM

Incorrect.

Grey, have to respectfully disagree with you. When I got my 08, yosh sent me a pipe that fits the 06-08 models and my first concern is that the 06-07 header is a tad smaller in diameter then the 08. Yosh after a few days got back to me and said I was right but that it would seal up. Hence, the 08 headers diameter will not fit the 06-07 bikes. It is to big

• swaldrop

Posted July 09, 2008 - 11:34 AM

Grey, have to respectfully disagree with you. When I got my 08, yosh sent me a pipe that fits the 06-08 models and my first concern is that the 06-07 header is a tad smaller in diameter then the 08. Yosh after a few days got back to me and said I was right but that it would seal up. Hence, the 08 headers diameter will not fit the 06-07 bikes. It is to big

Which is why he said 'complete' exhaust. Complete would include the smaller diameter header.

• KJ790

Posted July 09, 2008 - 12:48 PM

07 and 08 are larger at the midpipe joint than the 06. The complete exhaust will bolt right up like Grey said, you just can't switch part of the exhaust between an 06 and an 08.

• grayracer513

Posted July 09, 2008 - 02:11 PM

Which is why he said 'complete' exhaust. Complete would include the smaller diameter header.

Precisely.

• Wiz636

Posted July 13, 2008 - 08:20 PM

Just found out that my sweet GYTR chain guide from my '06 will not bolt up to the '08. The rear threaded mounting tab has been moved forward several mm's. After all these years they went and changed it :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.