2008 yz450 Kick Starting Technique Help

17 replies to this topic
  • BlackT5

Posted July 08, 2008 - 03:32 PM

My bike, a 2008 yz450 is brand new with less than an hour on it. Everything is stock with a pipe on order. Maybe .4-.5 hours. It is crazy hard to start. Not that the kick starter is tough to push but I have to kick it for ever to start it. My hour meter has a full hour on it now from kicking. Thats about 30 minutes worth of kicking and a lot of sweat. I've searched on here for what others have done to get their bikes started and followed most. Most say the bike get easier to start as they get a few more hours. I'll list what I have done and what seems to work.

1) Checked the plug gap - even replaced it with a iridium plug.
2) Turned the pilot screw out to 2 1/4 turns from the stock 1 1/2
3) Drained and used brand new gas.
4) Tried using the choke.
5) Tried using the choke + hot start.
6) Tried no choke/no hot start.
7) Tried hot start only.
8) Tried a full twist of the throttle to prime the motor with all of the above.
9) All above with hand on brake master not to twist throttle while kicking.
10) Turned idle up(have since put it back to stock)

Here is what I finally got to work with any consistency:
Fuel on, Choke on, Throttle cracked(mostly just taking up the slack in the cables and basically a fast idle), get the kicker up against TDC and a smooth forceful kick. I also got the bike to start like this hot with all of the above but no choke with 2 kicks.

So my question is why do I have to crack the throttle to get the bike to start when every thing I have ever read, been told,and shown says never to open the throttle on a four stroke to get it to start. This is driving me nuts and I am getting afraid something is wrong with my bike. I'll gladly provide more info if any one needs it.

Thanks for all your help!

• grayracer513

Posted July 08, 2008 - 03:37 PM

So my question is why do I have to crack the throttle to get the bike to start when every thing I have ever read, been told,and shown says never to open the throttle on a four stroke to get it to start. This is driving me nuts and I am getting afraid something is wrong with my bike. I'll gladly provide more info if any one needs it.

Thanks for all your help!

Your idle is a little too slow, and your idle mix is a little too rich. It is not uncommon for a bike to want a very small amount of throttle to start. My '03 was that way, my '06's usually aren't. If it runs good, and you can get it started, don't worry about it.

• OldSkool

Posted July 08, 2008 - 03:55 PM

What seems to work for me every time is when the bike is cold is:

1) Pull the choke out
2) One twist of the gas
3) One good kick

Fires every time first kick. I can get it to start with out any gas but it needs a few kicks if I don't turn the throttle atleast once.

I would try to adjust the mixture screw. My buddy was having trouble with his and 1 3/4 turns out did the trick. Good luck.

• BlackT5

Posted July 08, 2008 - 06:51 PM

Is the factory recommended idle of 1900-2100 good enough? I will check the idle speed and play with the mixture and see what happens.

• grayracer513

Posted July 08, 2008 - 06:58 PM

No idea. I never use a tach to set my idle.

• BlackT5

Posted July 08, 2008 - 07:00 PM

Then how do you pick your idle speed?

• Coastie3202

Posted July 08, 2008 - 07:16 PM

Here is the starting drill on mine when the engine is cold:

Gas on
Choke on full
2 twists of the throttle
Kick (usually takes no more than 2 kicks to fire it)
Choke off, keep idle up with throttle until you can snap the throttle with no hesitation from the engine.

If the engine is hot:
Pull in hot start
1 to 2 kicks to fire
No choke.

Good luck. Once you figure out the starting drill for your particular bike it will be a piece of cake. Seems every thumper has it's own drill.

• grayracer513

Posted July 08, 2008 - 07:32 PM

Then how do you pick your idle speed?

I make it just fast enough to idle stably. If I want less engine braking (which is not likely to occur), I raise the idle. If I don't get enough, or it pulls at low speeds, I lower it.

• cowboyona426

Posted July 09, 2008 - 05:41 AM

Here is the starting drill on mine when the engine is cold:

Gas on
Choke on full
2 twists of the throttle
Kick (usually takes no more than 2 kicks to fire it)
Choke off, keep idle up with throttle until you can snap the throttle with no hesitation from the engine.

If the engine is hot:
Pull in hot start
1 to 2 kicks to fire
No choke.

Good luck. Once you figure out the starting drill for your particular bike it will be a piece of cake. Seems every thumper has it's own drill.

This is what I do with my 06 and it works great.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dirtbiker05

Posted July 09, 2008 - 07:12 AM

my 08 was a b*tch to start first when i got it. once the bike is broke in and you get used to it, it will start much easier. every bike is different and especially with a 4-stroke, you need to give the bike what it wants to start easy. you'll get the hang of it in a week or so. still check the jetting and everything but be patient for the first week or so.

• nephic

Posted July 09, 2008 - 07:17 AM

Funny, my 2004 hates to have you grab any throttle. On start up I leave the gas off, kick twice, choke it, gas on, kick and she starts up. After taht, pull in the hot start, first or second kick every time.

• Weapon X

Posted July 09, 2008 - 08:13 PM

Ya blackt5 I got my new 08 today and am having the exact same problem , I will try your solution tommoro and I'll let you know if it worked.

• Aka.Goose

Posted July 09, 2008 - 09:50 PM

If after a few hours on the bike, it's still hard to start, maybe check into the ZipTy carb mod...

• krackhead

Posted July 10, 2008 - 03:40 AM

your pilot jet could be too lean as well

• rooster wrooster

Posted July 10, 2008 - 03:59 AM

You need to experiment. My riding buddies have a yz400 and wr400 that they almost always start on first kick. When I first got my '06 450 I kicked it for about 30-45 minutes straight without it starting. The manual says not to twist the throttle so I didn't. I have gradually added more priming twists until it now almost always starts on the first kick. With 3 twists it starts in 6-10 kicks. With 6 twists it starts first kick. You just need to get to know your bike.

• mxracer206

Posted July 10, 2008 - 04:05 AM

When my 08 was new it was very hard to start also and had to run a 48 pilot jet to cure it. Now I am down to a 42 for summer. It also hicc-uped and died easily until broke in. Try the larger pilot until you get some time on the motor.

• BlackT5

Posted July 10, 2008 - 04:28 AM

Thanks everyone for your help!

• Weapon X

Posted July 11, 2008 - 06:05 PM

My motor has all of one minute on it and T5 your method worked for me, just turned the throttle a little bit.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.