'08 WR450F rear shock "topping out" ???

5 replies to this topic
  • WR450FGreg

Posted July 08, 2008 - 12:51 PM

I haven't investigated this properly yet, I just noticed it when I parked the bike after a wash last night.....

I lifted the rear end and felt a bit of a "clunk" at full extension. Not extreme, but definately there.
I couldn't hear/feel it yesterday when jumping it on an MX track.
Maybe it's normal, I don't know. This is my first dirt bike in a lot of years.

The bike has 700km on it and yes, I have had the rear end apart and re-greased it all, tightening all the bolts to the specified torque.

Your thoughts?

Greg

• matt4x4

Posted July 09, 2008 - 03:50 AM

You'll need new linkage or shock bearings - it's one or the other that's clunking - easy and cheap fix, but you should go as far as taking the shock out to see which ones need replacing - once you've done that, you might find your swingarm is in need too - many times, when one is gone it means all were neglected.

• YamaLink

Posted July 09, 2008 - 06:06 AM

Ditto. My guess is the bearing that the 17mm nut on the relay arm attaches to, but like Matt4x4 wrote, you never know til you take things apart.

A good source for bearing info is at http://www.motorcycl...cycle-parts.htm

Find the part, the bearing and part number.

You'll need new linkage or shock bearings - it's one or the other that's clunking - easy and cheap fix, but you should go as far as taking the shock out to see which ones need replacing - once you've done that, you might find your swingarm is in need too - many times, when one is gone it means all were neglected.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • beezer

Posted July 09, 2008 - 06:09 AM

I doubt anything is wrong. It's a brand new bike.

If it were me I'd check the all the linkage and shock bolts and then I'd go riding.

• SXP

Posted July 09, 2008 - 07:04 AM

I haven't investigated this properly yet, I just noticed it when I parked the bike after a wash last night.....

I lifted the rear end and felt a bit of a "clunk" at full extension. Not extreme, but definately there.
I couldn't hear/feel it yesterday when jumping it on an MX track.
Maybe it's normal, I don't know. This is my first dirt bike in a lot of years.

The bike has 700km on it and yes, I have had the rear end apart and re-greased it all, tightening all the bolts to the specified torque.

Your thoughts?

Greg

Greg - What you describe is typical of a worn out Heim joint (the semi articulating bearing) at the bottom of the shock. But with just a little more then 400 miles on the bike it sounds unlikely. The only thing I can think of, is something was not re-assembled correctly when you regreased your suspension. Make sure the two grease seals and collars on either side of the lower Heim joint are on the shock. I remember the collars falling out while re-attaching the shock.

• WR450FGreg

Posted July 09, 2008 - 12:54 PM

Thanks guys.

The only thing I can think of, is something was not re-assembled correctly when you regreased your suspension.

Yeah, I might check that out SXP. Cheers.

Greg

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.