Larger fuel tank

Whos done it? Where did you buy it from? What mfg. did you choose? I have a 05 WR 450. I need a larger fuel tank. I've heard about Acerbis and IMS which are good mfg. I would like to hear some of your experiences with upgrading to larger tank. What were some of the negatives of going with a larger tank?

Thanks in advance.

i also have an 05 wr450 and just installed an IMS 3.1 gal but have not gotten any seat time with it yet. instalation wasnt to bad and i was able to use my stock shrouds which was nice. i had to bore out one of the petcock holes cause it wasnt big enough and the shrouds didnt fit perfectly but they go on and its not a big deal. i think its the best choice. 6.6 seems a little to big. i got mine at justgastanks.com

'08 WR450 with the IMS 3.1 gal tank. Very well designed tank and I really don't notice it while riding. Unlike the Acerbis for this bike, this tank can get to virtually all of the fuel once you lay the bike on it's left side once. The Acerbis for the '07-'08's has fuel in the shrouds which are lower than the petcock. The negative is that you have to buy YZ shrouds.

Justgastanks.com. Free shipping and no tax if you are from out of California ?.

Forgot to mention that Zipty racing may have a somewhat custom version of the IMS tank for the '05's. Check their website. I really like the tanks available for the '03-06 bikes (I think both IMS and Acerbis) as they really carry the fuel low and the tank is fairly narrow. Ugly, but functional.

'08 WR450 with the IMS 3.1 gal tank. Very well designed tank and I really don't notice it while riding. Unlike the Acerbis for this bike, this tank can get to virtually all of the fuel once you lay the bike on it's left side once. The Acerbis for the '07-'08's has fuel in the shrouds which are lower than the petcock. The negative is that you have to buy YZ shrouds.

Justgastanks.com. Free shipping and no tax if you are from out of California ?.

You also should get a petcock from a steel frame model (06 or older) If you use the stock (07 - 08) petcock the shut off valve is on the inside or the fuel line points to the front and needs to wrap-around back to the carb. Easy fix.?

You also should get a petcock from a steel frame model (06 or older) If you use the stock (07 - 08) petcock the shut off valve is on the inside or the fuel line points to the front and needs to wrap-around back to the carb. Easy fix.?

I was going to buy one until I just mounted mine backwards with the valve to the inside and found there was plenty of room for my fingers and easy to tell the positioin of the valve still. I think it also sticks out a little less this way as it is no where near as tucked in as on the stock tank.

I was going to buy one until I just mounted mine backwards with the valve to the inside and found there was plenty of room for my fingers and easy to tell the positioin of the valve still. I think it also sticks out a little less this way as it is no where near as tucked in as on the stock tank.

Yeah, I have had mine that way for the last year. I had my tank off this week due to some minor stator work:bonk: ? so I took the opportunity to switch it out. It got a bit harder to do as time went on. No leaks so it should be good to go:ride:

I have the Clarke 2.8 gallon on my '06 WR450 ? . Good fit & I get approx 100 mile from it. Never had to go onto reserve. Only downside is I went Black ? so I could have an all black WR so it makes it hard to tell how much fuel is left. Go the natural.