how to improve 07 wr450 handling

8 replies to this topic
  • YAMAHA thumper 7

Posted July 08, 2008 - 03:46 AM

hey jst wondering if there is anyone who has mad any mods to there 07 wr450 for better handling, they do handle awesome from stock but i just wont it better....

has anyone lifted the bars mine are stock would this help? i do alot of standing riding and feel there to low im bout 6ft tall...

suspension is good for medium pace but wen goin flat out feels to soft wat do u guys recomend????

• Swiveler1973

Posted July 08, 2008 - 04:38 AM

I recommend a Scotts sub mount steering stabilizer (stabilizer under bars) it will fix your problems by raising the handlebars up and tightening up the loose feel of the front end. It is money well spent.

• mekc

Posted July 08, 2008 - 04:40 AM

if u ride stand up most time, u need another handlebar, i am about 6 ft too and use another protaper handlebar ( much heigh then stock) immediately after purchase wr

• mekc

Posted July 08, 2008 - 04:43 AM

steering stabilizer is cost many $
if u ride skill is needed steering stabilizer yes u can buy it, is rise bar like 1 inch

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tweav

Posted July 08, 2008 - 05:53 AM

you can just buy the mount without the damper . give the inch now for like 80 bucks or so . if you want a damper later get one . here's a clear shot of My 07 wr450 stripped down with the damper mounted . it shows the lifted bar height.

Posted Image

as far as your suspension being too soft you should just have it resprung for your weight and or revalved for your riding style.

• YamaLink

Posted July 08, 2008 - 06:05 AM

Ditto. How much do you (original poster) weigh? Did you buy the bike used from someone who may have been considerably lighter than you?

as far as your suspension being too soft you should just have it resprung for your weight and or revalved for your riding style.

• sausage boy

Posted July 08, 2008 - 08:45 AM

hey jst wondering if there is anyone who has mad any mods to there 07 wr450 for better handling, they do handle awesome from stock but i just wont it better....

has anyone lifted the bars mine are stock would this help? i do alot of standing riding and feel there to low im bout 6ft tall...

suspension is good for medium pace but wen goin flat out feels to soft wat do u guys recomend????

just like the other guys said, re-valve and re-spring your forkes, even if your a skinny 6fter you'll be right at the top of the spring ratings, i used Factory Connections :thumbsup:
i run a scott triple clamp with a stearing damper, this moves the bars forward about 20mm and up about 25mm, i also raise the fork tubes 5mm above the top triple clamp, this will help it turn a bit quicker, probably not needed if your doing fast jeep roads, but for steep single track i find it helps.

hey Tweav nice bar riser, how tall are you?

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted July 08, 2008 - 09:45 AM

you can just buy the mount without the damper . give the inch now for like 80 bucks or so . if you want a damper later get one . here's a clear shot of My 07 wr450 stripped down with the damper mounted . it shows the lifted bar height.

Posted Image

+1
I think it's more like $120 or so, but if you can do it for $80, even better. Gives you the height, plus leaves open the option for a stabilizer later. Plus I think the stock Protaper has a decent bend to it.

Question, do you have to extend any of the cables when adding the sub mount?

• SJMC_DON

Posted July 08, 2008 - 12:07 PM

+1
Question, do you have to extend any of the cables when adding the sub mount?

I have had no isues with my sub mount and cable length. I even had a set pro taper woods bend on for a while and the throttle cable was close but it still worked :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.