Newbie here with a 2001 YZ426

1 reply to this topic
  • M0SSLAGER

Posted July 08, 2008 - 02:40 AM

Hey guys... new here. I just picked up a clean 2001 YZ426 from a friend. I thought it would be a good addition to the toy box or for friends to ride when we are camping and someone shows up without a bike. I picked it up for $1500 and stopped by Chaparral for all new plastics on the way home. They weren't needed but I am particular that way. I didn't know much before buying this bike. I usually ride a LTZ400 quad or cruise around in my Rhino. After doing some reading it appears the 426 is a solid performer that I can't find many bad things at all said about it besides the starting issue. I took it for a spin today and damn is got some torque. I think I may end up being the rider of this more than I had planned. Anyways, what should I look for and look out for on this bike? :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BASSic

Posted July 08, 2008 - 06:31 AM

After doing some reading it appears the 426 is a solid performer that I can't find many bad things at all said about it besides the starting issue.

There really is no starting issue, just make sure you're jetted properly. Also you have to understand how the carburetor works and that'll make things easier. The carburetor has an accelerator pump which squirts a jet of fuel when you twist the throttle. You DON'T want to twist the throttle as you kick, the way you would on a two stroke (or even a four stroke without a FCR-MX carb).

When the bike is cold, you may need to twist the throttle before you kick, just to get some fuel in the engine. On my bike in warm weather, I usually need to give it one quick 1/4 throttle twist prior to kicking and it'll fire up on the first kick. After it's been running and the engine is warmed up, you don't need to do this.

Anyways, what should I look for and look out for on this bike? :thumbsup:

The only problem with all the YZs is that the front wheel never stays on the ground :p. In all seriousness, the 01 is a solid bike. There's no clutch problem like that on the 2000 so no worries there. Since you're a new owner, you might want to check the valve clearances to be on the safe side, but don't be surprised if they're still within specifications. My '01 never had the valves adjusted and they're still good.

Get a stainless steel oil filter (reusable) and change the oil often, and keep your air filter clean, that's about it.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.