Near new WR450F with leaking fork seal

14 replies to this topic
  • WR450FGreg

Posted July 07, 2008 - 11:31 PM

750km on my new WR450F and it's got a leaking fork seal already.

I was half expecting it, I have read somewhere here in ThumperTalk that the WR450Fs are renowned for it, but that is supposed to happen to other guys' bikes, not mine! :thumbsup:

Greg

• Lennie

Posted July 08, 2008 - 01:35 AM

Its not hard to fix and doesnt cost much, less typing more fixing needed.

• neevothespaniel

Posted July 08, 2008 - 03:05 AM

Ride it a little harder. This always seems to fix the problem for me. Not sure why, it might be because some of the hits dislodge the particles that are causing the leaks.

• WR450FGreg

Posted July 08, 2008 - 12:42 PM

less typing more fixing needed

Lennie,

Yeah I hear you. I just needed to "vent"!!
(I've had a bit of a cry and now I'm fine.)

Ride it a little harder.

neevothespaniel,

I was riding it quite hard around a motocross track when it happened. (Clearing table tops, double jumps, whoops two at a time, etc. etc. you get the picture)
The front end was bottoming out at times, ie when i wasn't careful with my landings.
I have boosted the compression damping 6 clicks from standard and it still bottoms occasionally, even in the bush. I suspect insufficient/uneven oil level from the factory.

What I haven't done is cleaned under the dust caps after the last two rides so maybe there's a lesson in that for me.... nor have i released the air pressure built up inside the forks come to think of it!

I'll be replacing the fork oil this week and fitting a pair of pre-load spacers, as well as raising the oil level a little.
If I don't pull the forks apart completely then I'll use the old feeler gauge under the seal trick to hopefully clear any crap.

Might have to make a pair of those soft fork cleaner things. I've seen them on other bikes, you know the ones ... they are made out of wetsuit material. I believe they work well if you clean under them regularly.

..... All this aside .... man, was it fun hammering around a motocross track on the thing! It's been a long time since I last did that! :thumbsup:
These WR450Fs are incredible. Dirt bikes have come a long way in the past 10-15 years!

Greg

• justbackitin

Posted July 08, 2008 - 04:13 PM

Just be glad it wasn't a shock seal like mine after I rode it for two weeks.
At least you can change fork seals on your own!

• crooks420

Posted July 08, 2008 - 05:51 PM

I posted this in another thread:

The answer is: Dirt Skins, or Seal Savers.

I had a seal go on my 05 WR 450 after about 400 miles. After installing new seals on both forks AND installing Dirt Skins, no problems 3 years and 2000 miles later. I like the dirt skins with the velcro; they go on and off easily for washing.... which is key to long seal life. Another trick is to pack water-proof grease under the dust seal (between the dust seal and the actual fork oil seal). This traps any debris and keeps it from wrecking the oil seal. You also need to wash your bike regularly..... atleast after every other ride, and after EVERY mud or rain ride; dried mud, sand, silt and dust on the lower fork tubes will get under the dust seal and wreck the oil seal.

Jesse

• Dube2

Posted July 08, 2008 - 07:28 PM

Second ride on my 05, seals blow out. Over three years now and no issues. Second ride on my 08, seals blow out. Un-repaied at this time.

Go Figure:excuseme:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YamaLink

Posted July 08, 2008 - 07:48 PM

Something I didn't find out until repeated seals, and maybe this isn't your situation, but I was washing my bike with "hard" water. The crusty little dried particles on the fork stanchions would riiiip a groove in my seal. Hell, Mr. Leak!

• WR450FGreg

Posted July 08, 2008 - 09:06 PM

Thanks for all the feedback guys!!!!

Just be glad it wasn't a shock seal like mine after I rode it for two weeks.
At least you can change fork seals on your own!

justbackitin,

I would have agreed with you a week ago.....
...... Last Friday a friend showed me how to rebuild an RM80 shock (with remote reservoir) in his garage at home. It's pretty easy really.
(The "hard" part is justifying buying a nitrogen cylinder and regulator to the missus when you know you'll only use it a few times per year!)
I'm ready to attack the WR450F shock when it needs it. I'll just go to Mick's place for the gas.

Greg

• beezer

Posted July 09, 2008 - 06:13 AM

I pull down the wipers and run a plastic business card under the seal at an angle. Most of the time it stops the leak.

The hard part of rebuilding a shock is getting all the air out.

• face_plant

Posted July 09, 2008 - 11:38 AM

I pull down the wipers and run a plastic business card under the seal at an angle. Most of the time it stops the leak.

The hard part of rebuilding a shock is getting all the air out.

no way
its puttting the bike down long enough to actually work on it

• WR450FGreg

Posted July 09, 2008 - 12:51 PM

no way
its puttting the bike down long enough to actually work on it

:thumbsup: :p

..... never a truer word spoken face_plant !!

It's like having a really hot girlfriend when you're 16 ..... you can't stay off her !!!

Greg

• WR450FGreg

Posted July 09, 2008 - 12:59 PM

beezer,
sounds like a good idea. Not as hard/sharp as a metal feeler guage.
Thanks.
Greg

• matt4x4

Posted July 10, 2008 - 03:34 AM

you can also use 35mm film.

• RedBull420

Posted July 10, 2008 - 07:42 AM

Under 400k's on my 08 and i just had to replace both seals :thumbsup:

Put on full length seal saver's and fingers crossed.....

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.