WR450 nightride comments appreciated

10 replies to this topic
  • blueyam

Posted July 07, 2008 - 02:20 PM

I have an 05 WR450 that has been a tremendous bike. No problems in a variety of terrain/riding conditions from hot desert to single track up in the pines. Have done no night riding other than making it back to camp out in the desert on some well groomed flat trails. Headlight worked fine for that. Planning on some single track night-riding in the mountains/pine covered forests in the mountains outside of Southern California. A friend says the headlight wattage on most bikes is not sufficient for that terrain but turns out he has a Honda 400 with only 35 watt bulb. The WR450 has a 55watt lamp. Any experience/tips/advice or recommendations about this type riding and or wattage would be appreciated. Thanks.

• SJMC_DON

Posted July 07, 2008 - 02:52 PM

Single track riding at night, in trees is pretty easy to accomodate with low cost options. The speeds are slow enuf and such that you are not going to "outrun" the light. I have competed numerous times in night races and enduros that are held in the mountains with primarily single track tree riding and I have been very happy with the stock WR headlight and a 50W halogen, MR16 helmet light from Cyclops. The halogen MR16's are the least expensive and very durable. I bought the kit that hooks directly to the bike's battery with the connector. It makes for a very bright flood with out a lot of shadow issues, it also stays on should the motor stall.

If you were considering desert or grand prix type night riding I would recommend HID which is more involved $$$$$

• Punisher660

Posted July 07, 2008 - 02:55 PM

I have run at night plenty of times with no problems. I would recommend a helmet mounted light in addition just to increase visibility though.

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted July 07, 2008 - 03:01 PM

I have an '08 and just found out how sorry the stock light is for night rides. However, I know that the older WR's had better lighting as they came stock with higher wattage bulbs. Still, if it was me........:p :thumbsup:......I would go on Ebay and order up an HID conversion kit. I think your bulb is an H4, but you need to check. You have the battery, just need the reg/rectifier from Trailtech or Baja Designs and do the stator mod on BD's website. If you can find a friend with the same needs (same bulb type) you can split the cost of the kit ($80 delivered for two bulbs, ignitors, slim ballasts). You will also need to hook up either a toggle switch at the headlight shell (or at the bars) to shut the light off. You'll be blown away at the increase in light and will swear yourself off halogen forever. If you can split the cost of the kit with a bud, you'll be in it for about $100 total :cry:.

• BIGMatt

Posted July 07, 2008 - 03:05 PM

I've done a little bit of night riding with my '04 WR450, with OEM headlight. My OEM light is plenty bright for single track stuff, and medium/slow speed stuff. Anything faster than 30MPH and I out drive the light.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Just_a_trail_rider

Posted July 07, 2008 - 03:09 PM

I have run at night plenty of times with no problems. I would recommend a helmet mounted light in addition just to increase visibility though.

www.helmetlight.com

It will give you just a little more.

Are you considering doing the big bear night ride? Are those the mountains you refer to?

• blueyam

Posted July 07, 2008 - 03:54 PM

No, just on top above Gorman (Hungry Valley)

• blueyam

Posted July 07, 2008 - 04:03 PM

Thanks for all the feedback. Helmet light sounds like plenty of extra light if it needed at all. Question though; I'm 55watt bulb on the bike, helmet light ties in and take another 35 watts, am I going to be draining the battery while riding and using 90 watts total? Some talk of needing a bigger stator/winding to pump the juice for 90 watts verses the stock 55 watts comes to mind. Any thoughts on that? Thanks.

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted July 07, 2008 - 04:25 PM

Thanks for all the feedback. Helmet light sounds like plenty of extra light if it needed at all. Question though; I'm 55watt bulb on the bike, helmet light ties in and take another 35 watts, am I going to be draining the battery while riding and using 90 watts total? Some talk of needing a bigger stator/winding to pump the juice for 90 watts verses the stock 55 watts comes to mind. Any thoughts on that? Thanks.

With no stator mods, if you tie into the battery you will put a load on it that it cannot replenish. I believe the stock system was something like 20-30 watts DC to the battery and maybe 80-90 watts ac to the headlight. If you had to tie into something, go into the ac output. At worst, it will give you a more yellow light at low revs.

• GCannon

Posted July 08, 2008 - 10:08 AM

I have one of these sitting on my work bench right now.

I cannot give you a report right now on how much light it gives but my research tells me it is the most wattage you can get without modifing the electrical system. You will need a glass headlight lens which I believe comes stock on the 05 WR ( more watts= more heat)

I would not recommend this for any heavy 4th or 5th gear riding situations but it should be great for playing around in the forest. It will also be great for getting you home after a long ride

the Helmet light also is a good idea since it gives you a back up. :thumbsup:

• GCannon

Posted July 08, 2008 - 10:09 AM

The link
https://www.bajadesi...category=MCYCLE

Sorry lost my head Can't seem to get the link right.
Try item code 130023 when you get to the Baja Designs web site.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.