lowering footpegs on a 08WR450????

9 replies to this topic
  • Demo_Slug

Posted July 07, 2008 - 12:43 PM

Anybody got any recommendations on lowering footpegs on a 08WR450?

All I‘ve found thus far is the fastways and I’m afraid that I’d have to ditch the stock kickstand to use their lowboy bracket. New stuff seems to be coming out all the time for this bike. Just wondering if there is something new out there.

• tweav

Posted July 07, 2008 - 04:03 PM

you know you could cut the stock kick stand down . I lowered my wr I cut about an 1.5 inch out of mine then welded the foot back on.

• Demo_Slug

Posted July 07, 2008 - 06:02 PM

you know you could cut the stock kick stand down . I lowered my wr I cut about an 1.5 inch out of mine then welded the foot back on.

Do you heat treat after you weld aluminum?

• tweav

Posted July 07, 2008 - 07:35 PM

I did not , I don't think there is all that much stress on it right at the foot . I did not think it was worth the effort. it's been like that for almost a year now . I did weld it solid the grove that is on the back I welded shut , so from the weld down it's solid with no grove in the back

• Demo_Slug

Posted July 07, 2008 - 09:02 PM

I did not , I don't think there is all that much stress on it right at the foot . I did not think it was worth the effort. it's been like that for almost a year now . I did weld it solid the grove that is on the back I welded shut , so from the weld down it's solid with no grove in the back

I have a hard enough time getting good looking welds on mild steel. :p

:thumbsup: TIG welding aluminum is outside of my comfort zone.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tweav

Posted July 07, 2008 - 09:15 PM

I just preheated it then tig'd it . then I ground it smooth and gave it a brushed finish like stock . so in my case it did not matter what the weld looked like , you can't tell it's there .

• swede426

Posted July 08, 2008 - 05:54 AM

How do you do with the brake, can you lower it that much so it will be comfortable?

• Dirtskills

Posted July 08, 2008 - 05:44 PM

I put the Fastways on my 07 WR450, I called fastway and they told me to counter sink the bottom holes on the bracket and sold me two new flush mount bolts. no problem with the kickstand. The brackets are the same they just
counter sink them for you, the bolts were ten bucks.

• Demo_Slug

Posted July 08, 2008 - 10:22 PM

I put the Fastways on my 07 WR450, I called fastway and they told me to counter sink the bottom holes on the bracket and sold me two new flush mount bolts. no problem with the kickstand. The brackets are the same they just
counter sink them for you, the bolts were ten bucks.

cool info. i'll have to give them a call.

and also props to the other guys who posted. I wasn't even thinking about the kick stand being too long after lowering the pegs.:thumbsup: .

• Demo_Slug

Posted August 12, 2008 - 08:18 PM

cool info. i'll have to give them a call.

and also props to the other guys who posted. I wasn't even thinking about the kick stand being too long after lowering the pegs.:D .

so I called fastway and bought the pegs . got them today... but they only sent one flathead screw :) !!!!!!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.