'03 YZ450F Throttle and clutch

6 replies to this topic
  • Motoidiot7

Posted July 06, 2008 - 07:08 PM

I have a '03 YZ450F, and was wondering if there was anything I could do to make the throttle easier to twist and the clutch easier to pull in. These are my only problems with riding they are both so hard that I get arm pump faster than I ever have. I know my arms need to have a little more conditioning in them, but that will come with riding. The throttle I dont really have a clue about how to fix, and the clutch I have thought about different clutch springs, and maybe even replacing all three cables. Also what about replacing the front brake line, I know I need a braided smaller diameter hose, to get rid of the spongeyness and air like feel, but I am not sure about the exact one and the best one to get. Any advice on these issues would be greatly appreciated, and helpful.

Thanks,
Motoidiot7

• sparkyz

Posted July 06, 2008 - 09:35 PM

Do a search for yz easy pull clutch mod. You drill your lever to insert the ball of the cable a little further in so you have more leverage. It really helped with my clutch arm fatigue.

• Ga426owner

Posted July 07, 2008 - 06:53 AM

I have a '03 YZ450F, and was wondering if there was anything I could do to make the throttle easier to twist and the clutch easier to pull in. These are my only problems with riding they are both so hard that I get arm pump faster than I ever have. I know my arms need to have a little more conditioning in them, but that will come with riding. The throttle I dont really have a clue about how to fix, and the clutch I have thought about different clutch springs, and maybe even replacing all three cables. Also what about replacing the front brake line, I know I need a braided smaller diameter hose, to get rid of the spongeyness and air like feel, but I am not sure about the exact one and the best one to get. Any advice on these issues would be greatly appreciated, and helpful.

Thanks,
Motoidiot7

sounds to me like the throttle tube or throttle cables are binding. Does the "throttle return" work normally or not...you may need to replace the tube if cleaning does not help (there are many options for better than stock plastic tube)and see if the throttle cables move freely after removing them from the tube and carb - Also see if they are freyed at the carb. This would cause the binding..they would need to be replaced

The clutch, first the 03 has harder clutch pull compared to a 06+period end....well I am not a fan of drilling, but it can work. So I would consider the shorter clutch arm mod or replace the 03 plates with the 01/02 plates and boss spring and buy new 03 clutch springs. I went to full hinson pp, basket and hub and pull really is not a issue for me.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Motoidiot7

Posted July 08, 2008 - 04:25 PM

So I lubed all the cables, and everything is a little bit easier now. When putting the throttle back on I noticed that it wasnt returning exactly right, so I loosened it and cleaned the bar, and the inside of the tube, and it was pushed away from the end of the bar so it wasnt binding on that. After doing this it is workin right now, but what kind of replacement tube would you recommend other than plastic the only other I know is metal, but I have always used plastic and they have always worked for me. Oh and in the process of workin on the throttle I flooded the bike as expected so that was a fun time cranking it in my living room, with shoes on, slipped off the starter and got my shin, like expected, but on the upside, my apt. smells like exhaust now :thumbsup: Well thanks ahead of time for the input.

• Markopolo400

Posted July 08, 2008 - 05:20 PM

If lubing the cables didn't help that much, replace both the clutch cable, and the throttle cables.

I just put a new clutch cable on my YZ400F, and the pull is unbelievably light compared to what it was with the old cable, which I lubed before every ride. :thumbsup:

• kain522

Posted July 08, 2008 - 08:32 PM

So I lubed all the cables, and everything is a little bit easier now. When putting the throttle back on I noticed that it wasnt returning exactly right, so I loosened it and cleaned the bar, and the inside of the tube, and it was pushed away from the end of the bar so it wasnt binding on that. After doing this it is workin right now, but what kind of replacement tube would you recommend other than plastic the only other I know is metal, but I have always used plastic and they have always worked for me. Oh and in the process of workin on the throttle I flooded the bike as expected so that was a fun time cranking it in my living room, with shoes on, slipped off the starter and got my shin, like expected, but on the upside, my apt. smells like exhaust now :thumbsup: Well thanks ahead of time for the input.

If lubing the cables made a huge difference, you might want to replace them anyway. I've found that once a cable reaches the point of being hard to move, it has already started to fray somewhere. Don't forget to check your hot-start cable while you're at it. I've always used plastic throttle tubes too. The aluminum ones are nice, but it's hard for me to justify the extra cost when I'm not a hard core racer.

• rfelker

Posted July 09, 2008 - 04:55 AM

I have a 03 and clutch is perfect. I replace my cables every year and oil them every 2nd ride. I would replace your clutch cable probably has a kink. Also do you have the rubber dust cover on the throttle. Sometimes that gets stuck in the throttle tube. If none of this works, Start hugging the the tank with your knees.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.