03 YZ450F Starting problems

10 replies to this topic
  • BigBearzFan

Posted July 06, 2008 - 04:31 PM

OK here's the deal, I have an 03 YZ450 that is about to drive me nuts. I put a new timing chain on it the other day, put it together, kicked it 3 times fired up and ran fine. Took it to the track today kicked my butt off and it finally started and ran great. Shut it off, took a break, 3 of took turns kicking and it wouldn't start. Went back about 45 minutes later, started 1st kick ran great. Shut it off, to take a braek. Hasn't started since. I 'am tired and my leg is sore from kicking. PLEASE help.

• Dirtbiker05

Posted July 07, 2008 - 04:36 AM

i would double check to make sure that the valves are in spec then go from there.

• Ga426owner

Posted July 07, 2008 - 06:43 AM

Did you set the timing correctly?
what about a valve adjustment?

• BigBearzFan

Posted July 07, 2008 - 09:20 AM

Timing is dead on, Pretty sure the valves are to

• Ga426owner

Posted July 07, 2008 - 09:43 AM

Then it is either a fuel issue (CArb)or a CDI failure or simply a sparkplug

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SUnruh

Posted July 07, 2008 - 09:49 AM

it is possible that the timing chain jumped or the cam gear spun on the shaft.

make sure the cam lobes are at 2 and 10 with the timing marks lined up.

• BigBearzFan

Posted July 07, 2008 - 04:33 PM

Changed the plug 1st thing when I started having problems. I don't think its a timing issue because it runs to good when it does start. My thoughts are the pilot jet or CDI beaking down. Does this sound logical??

• grayracer513

Posted July 07, 2008 - 05:59 PM

Idle mixture is probably off.

Do you position the engine in any certain way in order to start it?

• mjw1

Posted July 07, 2008 - 06:46 PM

your pilot jet might be plugged or you may need to put the next size in it.

• BigBearzFan

Posted July 08, 2008 - 08:10 AM

I find TDC then kick

• grayracer513

Posted July 08, 2008 - 10:15 AM

By find TDC, do you mean you find the "hard spot" of the compression stroke, or push it past that to TDC?

The correct way is to come up against compression, reset the lever for a full kick, and then kicking through from there. Some make the mistake of over-thinking things by attempting to get over TDC to start the kick. When that is done, the force of the starting stroke is pretty much exhausted by the time the next compression stoke comes around.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.