how to remove impeller off of water pump?

1 reply to this topic
  • bolermountain

Posted July 06, 2008 - 07:51 AM

please help I have got this all ripped apart to redo the shaft, seals and bearing but how do i remove impeller? do you use the nut or do you some how pull it off like the manual suggests?
thanks

nevermind dumb question once you take off cover you get on the backside with a wrench and she's all good.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted July 06, 2008 - 12:17 PM

With the right side cover off the bike, look at the inside end of the impeller shaft. There you will see two ground flats that are placed there so the shaft can be held by a 12mm wrench while unscrewing the impeller from the other end. I usually insert a bolt in the case backwards to provide a place for the wrench to rest against so I can hold the case down against the bench with one hand, and turn the socket on the impeller with the other.

The impeller unscrews by using a socket on the hex built into it. It's advisable to use a six point socket to keep it from slipping. The threads are normal, right hand threads, so it unscrews counterclockwise, but it may seem very tight.

Be sure to notice which way the seals are facing before you remove them.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.