What The! Valve cover removal

15 replies to this topic
  • neevothespaniel

Posted July 06, 2008 - 03:13 AM

For those that do their own maintenance please enlighten me.

Coming off a 05 YZ checking valves clearances was easy, remove tank and valve cover. Now I have migrated to an 08 WR I am struggling with the new Alu frame and valve cover access.

What I am doing at the moment is removing shrouds, tank, hot start, upper engine mount however I am having to force things a little more than I would like to get the valve cover off and getting it back on is even more worrying.

Can anyone give me the magic answer?

• Frostbite

Posted July 06, 2008 - 03:34 AM

For those that do their own maintenance please enlighten me.

Coming off a 05 YZ checking valves clearances was easy, remove tank and valve cover. Now I have migrated to an 08 WR I am struggling with the new Alu frame and valve cover access.

What I am doing at the moment is removing shrouds, tank, hot start, upper engine mount however I am having to force things a little more than I would like to get the valve cover off and getting it back on is even more worrying.

Can anyone give me the magic answer?

I've never removed the hot start, but everything else you mentioned. It is a very tight squeeze but the cover will slip out. You have to roll it around a bit and the top of the cover and the gasket on the bottom are touching bits as you work it out. I haven't found a magic contortion where there is actually clearance, but it will come out.

• neevothespaniel

Posted July 06, 2008 - 03:58 AM

Sounds like you are in the same position as me. I can get the cover off but in some places I am really bending and squashing the rubber half circle gaskets on the gear shift side.

Stupid Alu frame, pity it rides so bloody well :thumbsup:

• Frostbite

Posted July 06, 2008 - 06:52 AM

Sounds like you are in the same position as me. I can get the cover off but in some places I am really bending and squashing the rubber half circle gaskets on the gear shift side.

Stupid Alu frame, pity it rides so bloody well :thumbsup:

I had one more pain to deal with, at -30 the hoses and wiring harness are like steel. I had to use a steamer to soften them up to move them out of the way, and then try and get the cover out before they stiffened up again. I was cursing.

Posted Image

• grayracer513

Posted July 06, 2008 - 07:18 AM

The cover comes off the easiest by taking it out the right side, which means that you'll need to break the adhesion of the cover gasket along the left side so that the half moons can lay over for clearance. The top mounts are all that I remove, other than the tank, of course.

• MaxPower

Posted July 06, 2008 - 08:31 AM

Posted Image

[COLOR="Green"]YIKES![/COLOR]

• SJMC_DON

Posted July 06, 2008 - 09:04 PM

I have had more luck leaving the gasket in place on the cyl head... the first time I did it I broke the gasket at the L/F corner trying to separate the cover and gasket because I think Yamaha used to much adhesive there... anyway, a new gasket and some trial and error and I have been able remove and replace the cover and gasket separately, or one at a time and it has proven to be much easier.

Like Frostbite I also do it without removing the hotstart... that little plastic nut is only going to take so many in and out cycles before it goes to sheet:prof:

• neevothespaniel

Posted July 07, 2008 - 12:55 AM

The cover comes off the easiest by taking it out the right side, which means that you'll need to break the adhesion of the cover gasket along the left side so that the half moons can lay over for clearance. The top mounts are all that I remove, other than the tank, of course.

Do you mean you take the cover off towards the kick starter?

Thanks for all the help. It looks like I might get a bit better with some more practice. I will leave the hotstart where it is from now on also.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted July 07, 2008 - 07:34 AM

Do you mean you take the cover off towards the kick starter?

Yes. It seems much more cooperative that way.

• beezer

Posted July 07, 2008 - 08:54 AM

I'll sell the bike before I take the valve cover off again.

Lot's of filthy words came outta my mouth.

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted July 07, 2008 - 09:04 AM

I guess it could be worse. There are guys with the new '08 Ktm 530's that can get the valve cover off no problem, but to actually make an adjustment requires dropping the engine or cutting off one of the tank mounts. This is because the bolt for the cam shaft retainer hits the tank mount that is over the engine before you can get the bolt out. Anyway, bike's in general are just getting harder to work on.

• SJMC_DON

Posted July 07, 2008 - 09:15 AM

I guess it could be worse. There are guys with the new '08 Ktm 530's that can get the valve cover off no problem, but to actually make an adjustment requires dropping the engine or cutting off one of the tank mounts. This is because the bolt for the cam shaft retainer hits the tank mount that is over the engine before you can get the bolt out. Anyway, bike's in general are just getting harder to work on.

530 is shim and bucket? I love it :thumbsup:

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted July 07, 2008 - 12:02 PM

530 is shim and bucket? I love it :cry:

It's a single cam and should have adjusters like the older model, but it does use shims for some reason. A lot of cursing on KTMTalk.com about this little design oversight. Most people are cutting part of the tank mount off and then using the piece cut off as a spacer :p. Almost dropped the $$'s for a 530, but glad I went with the WR and it's seemingly small issues so far. :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted July 07, 2008 - 01:40 PM

It's a single cam and should have adjusters like the older model, but it does use shims for some reason. A lot of cursing on KTMTalk.com about this little design oversight.

Damn! Sounds like working on cars for a living all over again. When the first front wheel drive Malibu came out, the procedure for removing the trans called for removing the the left motor mount bracket from the body. I had to get some clarification on that from GM, because it was welded in place. :thumbsup:

• xrmarty

Posted July 07, 2008 - 06:41 PM

Ha! Ha! Ha! I thought I was the only one going crazy with this. At first, I really struggled with the cover. Then I figured out there is only one way it goes in and one way it comes out. As Grayracer said, it has to come out on the kick start side. Lift the cover ( on shifter side) as much as you can so that one side is up and the kickstarter side is somewhat lower. Then work it over to the kickstarter side by wigling it a bit. You may have to move some things out of the way like hoses or wiring. It's just like a puzzle piece. It goes in and out only one way.

• neevothespaniel

Posted July 08, 2008 - 03:04 AM

Oh well I suppose its just the price we pay for such a great, reliable bike.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.