dual headlight wiring?

2 replies to this topic
  • Jim_Bob

Posted May 27, 2002 - 11:15 PM

Has anyone wired up a DHH on a WR so that 1. only the broad beam works on low and 2. both broad and pencil work on high?
I tried a diode between the two but found that a) when on low- both came on but the pencil beam was dull and :) when on high- both came on but broad beam dull. Neither is what I want.
The set up is the same as a mates DRZ although his works...
Any suggestions?
Thanks
JB

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • samohT

Posted May 28, 2002 - 04:19 AM

I have tried to run both high and low beam at the same time with my -00 wr which should have a 120 watts alternator. I think the earlier wr's had a less powerfull alternator.

Anyway, the about 100 watts load of my lights was way to much, so I got wery dim light.

The headlight runs on AC so using one diode will only block the possitive or negative pulses.
Connect the low beam so it is always on and use the switch to turn the high beam on and off. This way you also get rid of the voltage loss of the diodes.

[ May 28, 2002: Message edited by: samohT ]

• BEN_66

Posted May 28, 2002 - 06:38 AM

HI, I FITTED A UFO TWIN HEADLIGHT NOT LONG AGO, I THINK THIS IS VERY SIMILAR TO THE DHH. I AM NOT VERY ELECTRICALLY MINDED SO IT TOOK ME ABOUT AN HOUR OF TRAIL AND ERROR TO GET A RESULT. I HAVE A FRENCH IMPORT WITH FULL FACTORY LIGHTING KIT SO THE WIRES COULD BE DIFFERENT TO YOURS. THERE ARE TWO WIRES TO EACH BULD. THE BLACK WIRE WAS SPLIT AND CONNECTED TO BOTH BULBS. THE YELLOW TO ONE AND THE BLUE TO THE OTHER. THE GREEN WAS LEFT UNCONNECTED. WITH THE LIGHT SWITCH OFF-NO LIGHTS,ON DIP-ONE LIGHT, ON HIGH BEAM-BOTH LIGHTS. THE BLUE AND YELLOW MIGHT NEED TO BE SWAPPED OVER DEPENDING ON WHICH, THE BROAD OR PENCIL YOU WANT ON, ON ITS OWN. ON TICK OVER THE LIGHTS ARE DULL BUT SOON AS THE REVS PICK UP THE LIGHTS ARE FINE. I'M NOT SURE ABOUT THE GREEN WIRE AND IF IT NEEDS TO BE CONNECTED BUT I HAVN'T HAD ANY PROBLEMS YET. HOPE THIS HELPS

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.