2006 450 blew up yesterday?

19 replies to this topic
  • Indyman96

Posted July 05, 2008 - 03:36 PM

I was trail riding yesterday and and my motor starting ticking. I assumed it was the valves out of adjustment and starting heading back to the truck. about 5 miles later the engine dogged down and stalled. i tried kick starting about 5 times and now the kick lever will not move at all. I take prestine care of this bike. any advice on what the problem might be would be greatly appreciated.

• grayracer513

Posted July 05, 2008 - 03:41 PM

Timing chain, seized cam, oiling troubles,...no way to know without tearing it down.

• Indyman96

Posted July 05, 2008 - 04:14 PM

im a carpenter so im not confident enough to tear down a head. i guess ill have to take it to a mechanic and get bent over. hopefully i can get this back for under a thousand.

• biznet1

Posted July 06, 2008 - 02:14 AM

im a carpenter so im not confident enough to tear down a head. i guess ill have to take it to a mechanic and get bent over. hopefully i can get this back for under a thousand.

Did you at least check to see if your oil drain plug fell out?

• Indyman96

Posted July 06, 2008 - 08:12 AM

oil level is still good

• 1998YZ400F

Posted July 06, 2008 - 01:25 PM

coolant still good?

• Ga426owner

Posted July 06, 2008 - 01:40 PM

How many hrs on your ride plz?
It may have jumped timing due to a stretched timing chain

• nathanyzf426

Posted July 06, 2008 - 01:46 PM

my motor starting ticking. I assumed it was the valves out of adjustment and starting heading back to the truck. about 5 miles later the engine dogged down and stalled. i tried kick starting about 5 times and now the kick lever will not move at all. I take prestine care of this bike. any advice on what the problem might be would be greatly appreciated.

possibly seized bearings thats what happined on my 2 stroke same kind of thing only no ticking more so a little knock and it sounded like i had sand in the engine then it locked up coming into a burm just as i was about to pull over just a thought mate hope its not a big one and i hope you never had as far as i did to push it home it took me 2 n a half hours hahahhaha.............

• drzjay400e

Posted July 06, 2008 - 05:16 PM

How often do you change your oil and what brand of oil do you use?

• Indyman96

Posted July 06, 2008 - 05:22 PM

all of the fluids are good, i change the oil every-other ride and use yamalube semi-synthetic.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Indyman96

Posted July 06, 2008 - 05:24 PM

it probably has around 100 hours on it. i bought it used and to my knowledge the only maintenace ever been done on it was oil changes.

• husqy360

Posted July 06, 2008 - 06:30 PM

wow man that suck. hope it will be ready to run soon.

• Hatchers

Posted July 13, 2008 - 01:27 PM

Lloyd - So what did you do today?....on a lighter note--->we had a great ride up AF today, 55 degrees in the parking lot at 9:00AM, warmed up to 70 at noon...no carnage or bike break downs...:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• shortburb

Posted July 13, 2008 - 02:20 PM

It may have jumped timing due to a stretched timing chain

I think its pretty hard to get a timing CHAIN to jump teeth

BELTS do it alot...

I think a BROKEN timing chain kinda sorta in a way fits the symptom...if you could kick it several times and then not maybe the chain piled up around the crank sprocket and has jammed....

• bustersat

Posted July 13, 2008 - 04:07 PM

[I think its pretty hard to get a timing CHAIN to jump teeth]

Mine did just that! Could still kick it over though.

• swaldrop

Posted July 13, 2008 - 04:27 PM

Since everyone else has proposed a possible failure, I'll chime in as well...

My guess is that you dropped a valve. The right intake to be exact. This allowed you to then kick a bit until the tulip wedged itself between the piston (now shot) and the head (also shot).

Have you had it looked at yet?

• mjw1

Posted July 14, 2008 - 04:19 PM

I had my zy 400 do that it turned out to be the clutch basket broke. It could be a seized top end you wont know until you tear it down.

• matt4x4

Posted July 15, 2008 - 04:55 AM

The first time I needed a teardown and got a few prices, I decided it's not rocket science and would undertake it myself.
Man was I glad - if you have some mechanical knowledge, it can be done with ease, you only require simple tools and now, because of places like this - you have unlimited help available at your finger tips to make such a job even easier.
Depending on damage, you may have to get a couple of things machined or fitted by shops, but your bottom line will be 1/5th to 1/3 of what you would have to pay a shop.
If my 8 yr old can do a top end and clutch in his bike - you can do this.

• husqy360

Posted July 15, 2008 - 09:34 PM

The first time I needed a teardown and got a few prices, I decided it's not rocket science and would undertake it myself.
Man was I glad - if you have some mechanical knowledge, it can be done with ease, you only require simple tools and now, because of places like this - you have unlimited help available at your finger tips to make such a job even easier.
Depending on damage, you may have to get a couple of things machined or fitted by shops, but your bottom line will be 1/5th to 1/3 of what you would have to pay a shop.
If my 8 yr old can do a top end and clutch in his bike - you can do this.

sound so easy !

• Indyman96

Posted July 22, 2008 - 04:36 PM

Update on my scooter, it turns out it was the timing chain that was loose and ticking and it skipped and got bunched up. Around $500 damage. Luckily it didnt take out the head. Thanks for everyones input.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.