Is there an easier way.....

3 replies to this topic
  • Kent Rathgeber

Posted July 04, 2008 - 04:53 PM

to install an aftermarket fuel screw on an 07 YZ450F???

I installed one today, and the amount of work it took was beyond belief. The seat, tank, muffler, subframe, shock, and engine hangers all had to come off, just so the carb can come out (the carb can't rotate enough to get the stock fuel screw out). Any tips for future work in this vital area would be greatly appreciated and will be rewarded with some good gas!

• todds924

Posted July 04, 2008 - 05:51 PM

to install an aftermarket fuel screw on an 07 YZ450F???

I installed one today, and the amount of work it took was beyond belief. The seat, tank, muffler, subframe, shock, and engine hangers all had to come off, just so the carb can come out (the carb can't rotate enough to get the stock fuel screw out). Any tips for future work in this vital area would be greatly appreciated and will be rewarded with some good gas!

All you need to do next time is pull the tank and remove the upper motor mounts-5 bolts....then you can rotate the carb enough..be carefull not to twist to hard and stretch the hotstart cable or you may break the plastic cap. I have always had good luck just lightly seating the screw then backing it out. 9 times out of 10 the spring,washer and o-ring will come out with the screw. I have a special tool i use where i dont even need to do anything but loosen the carb clamps and turn the carb as much as it will go, but if you remove that upper mount....its a piece of cake!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted July 04, 2008 - 11:28 PM

You can do the job without moving the carb at all:

http://www.motionpro.../fcr_carb_tool/

The tool set handles the mixture screw, pilot and main jets. In removing the old and installing the new fuel screw, be sure to retrieve all of the original parts (screw, spring, washer, and O-ring). In cases where the new screw comes with its own spring, I find the OEM spring holds the screw in place better, so I use the original.

See also:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=556427

• Kent Rathgeber

Posted July 05, 2008 - 05:45 PM

Thanks, guys!!!!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.