'06 pipe on an '08

29 replies to this topic
  • Wiz636

Posted July 13, 2008 - 08:15 PM

FWIW I was messing around with my exhausts today and found that my 2006 Leo Vince X3 silencer slips on the '08 stock header like a glove. The 08 stock header sticks out to the side more than the '06 stock header and WAY more than my Leo Vince header. As an offroader that is not good, I'll be using my old Leo Vince system.

By holding them in my hands I swear the '08 silencer is heavier than the '06 silencer. Have not weighed them though.

• bigred455

Posted July 14, 2008 - 09:35 PM

Since we are on this topic,will a 06 oem can fit over a 07 oem head pipe? Like to try something.

• grayracer513

Posted July 15, 2008 - 05:53 AM

Since we are on this topic,will a 06 oem can fit over a 07 oem head pipe? Like to try something.

Not directly. The '07 outlet is larger. I have heard it said that it will fit if the '07 exhaust seal is used, though, but I don't know that for certain.

• bigred455

Posted July 15, 2008 - 01:01 PM

Not directly. The '07 outlet is larger. I have heard it said that it will fit if the '07 exhaust seal is used, though, but I don't know that for certain.

Hey,thanks for the comeback:thumbsup: I just hooked up with a 06 head pipe and can. Buddy is dropping it off later,I will let you know if what you heard is true. I have a feeling it is not going to be perfect,I want to try just the can and then the whole unit from the 06.I also want to try the 06 head pipe with the 07 can if possible.:thumbsup:

• factorymx

Posted July 15, 2008 - 02:20 PM

yes the 06 header is flattened out alittle im rebuilding my bike right now and my dad grabbed my header and asked me if i crashed and bent it. it does come that way

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • odlaw19

Posted March 26, 2009 - 12:16 PM

I have an 07 wr450 with a 06 YZ450 can on it. With the stock WR header pipe, the can was too big to seal around the gasket properly. I have since installed an 08 YZ450 header pipe. I had to unwind the original gasket and make it thinner to fit.

I purchased an 08 YZ450 gasket, fits over the end of the header perfect but it is about 1-2mm too big to fit in the can. I'm heading to the exhaust shop today to get them to stretch it a little so the gasket fits. I should be all good after that :thumbsup:

• eddie06450

Posted March 26, 2009 - 02:22 PM

DRD makes one exhaust for all '06-'08 models. At least two people on the board have installed '06 systems on their '08's. The same exhaust gasket is listed for the '06-'08 models.

But you can be convinced of anything you might like.

BTW, the headers on all three year models, '06-'08 are a different diameter at the head end then at the outlet end.

When i bought my 08 i called and the part #s was the same for all 3 year models. Thats what i was told anyways was i told wrong and will it hurt anything, runs great but i had to jet it with a jd jet kit. I have 06 full pipe on 08 DR.D

• yzmoto124

Posted June 09, 2009 - 10:58 PM

Hi, just bought a new 2008 YZ450F, I found this thread and I am really interested in what the verdict is as to whether or not the '06 complete stock exhaust is a good viable alternative to purchasing an aftermarket pipe for overall performance gains over the stock '08 system. Has anyone gotten an '06 exhaust system to work well on an '08? So far I am reading in this thread, the '06 setup adds a bunch of low to mid and flattens out on top. I found a used 2006 complete exhaust that I wanted to buy, but I don't want to have a pipe that doesn't perform well on top. So would it be safe to say that there isn't a stock YZ450f pipe of any year that would be a good replacement for the stock 2008 complete exhaust, so go with an aftermarket like Dr. D?

• KJ790

Posted June 10, 2009 - 04:50 AM

Hi, just bought a new 2008 YZ450F, I found this thread and I am really interested in what the verdict is as to whether or not the '06 complete stock exhaust is a good viable alternative to purchasing an aftermarket pipe for overall performance gains over the stock '08 system. Has anyone gotten an '06 exhaust system to work well on an '08? So far I am reading in this thread, the '06 setup adds a bunch of low to mid and flattens out on top. I found a used 2006 complete exhaust that I wanted to buy, but I don't want to have a pipe that doesn't perform well on top. So would it be safe to say that there isn't a stock YZ450f pipe of any year that would be a good replacement for the stock 2008 complete exhaust, so go with an aftermarket like Dr. D?

The stock 06 system performs better than the stock 08 system, but still not as good as a full aftermarket system performs.

• swaldrop

Posted June 10, 2009 - 06:29 AM

I am currently running a full '06 system and the bottom to mid increase is incredible. That being said, I would trade back to a stock '08 pipe if I could (mine is toast). I have always ridden smaller bikes up until this one and I really liked the smooth (read slow) delivery of the '08 pipe. I had to get a new pipe to replace the stocker and I found an '06 for a great deal, so that's what I went with.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.