PW50 - 80 year models

12 replies to this topic
  • micknmeld

Posted July 03, 2008 - 05:50 PM

Does anyone here know how to work out what the year model is on the Yamaha Pee Wee's?

• JAMRACING21

Posted July 03, 2008 - 09:20 PM

yeah mick whats the serial number?

• micknmeld

Posted July 03, 2008 - 10:27 PM

Hey Jam are you going to use the Yamaha VIN decoder? I have already tried that and it requires a 17 number VIN to work. My Yamahas all only have 12 numbers in their VIN.
Maybe because mine are Japanese domestic models that I imported myself.
If you aren't going to use that method, say so and I will get the numbers to you via PM.

• JAMRACING21

Posted July 08, 2008 - 08:50 PM

Hey Jam are you going to use the Yamaha VIN decoder? I have already tried that and it requires a 17 number VIN to work. My Yamahas all only have 12 numbers in their VIN.
Maybe because mine are Japanese domestic models that I imported myself.
If you aren't going to use that method, say so and I will get the numbers to you via PM.

no i have a yamaha DEALER service manual and show 12 digit vins for the pw50 pm it to me and ill tell ya what year
sorry it took so long to get back to ya mick ive been moving, we moved out to the country so i could build my boy his own track, and we could be closer to some of the tracks he already races.

• micknmeld

Posted July 09, 2008 - 01:01 PM

Apparently somewhere on the rims there is a date of manufacture stamped there as well. I read that on our own Aussie trailrider website but haven't verified that as of yet..
I will have to move 10 push bikes and other assorted pieces of junk to get to the PW's in my shed so I will get back to you with the VIN's.

• pakkasyourmate

Posted June 16, 2009 - 09:54 PM

Did you guys work it out, because I'm keen to find out. Thx

• micknmeld

Posted June 16, 2009 - 10:25 PM

Ring a Yamaha dealer with your vin and they can tell you. I have also been told from a reliable source that there is a date stamped on the rims of the 50's but haven't verified this.

• Smacaroni

Posted June 17, 2009 - 03:42 AM

somewhere, on something will be a date stamp. It's about as reliable as anything else. Often these are circles with a two digit number and a clock looking stamp that has a pin missing. Engine cases are a good place to look.
Aside from that, I don't have much info. My understanding is that from 1982 forward, VINs were standardized and the only quirk is that 1980-81 had some date stamp issues (8th char) but after that, all were the same until next year when the date stamp will be recycled starting with 0 again, the same as 1980.

• pakkasyourmate

Posted June 17, 2009 - 08:07 PM

I just spoke to a guy from Yamaha who said the 10th number on the VIN is the year of manufacture.

• Smacaroni

Posted June 18, 2009 - 04:29 AM

Crap, I did it again. 8th char from the RIGHT which is 10th from the left on a 17 char vin. Sorry.
If it's not a 17 char vin, there is no reliable method to determine the year between all the manufacturers.

• TheBigKahuna

Posted January 28, 2010 - 12:22 PM

JYA36?007FA010016

That's the VIN on my PW50. I can't figure it out. Any help?

• Smacaroni

Posted January 28, 2010 - 12:54 PM

F = 1985

• TheBigKahuna

Posted January 28, 2010 - 09:17 PM

Found out about the wheels having dates stamped on them too...wheel says 84...so 84 or 85 is close enough. It's frickin old!!!!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.