Radiator shroud mounting tab issues

The shroud mounting tab on my right radiator is cracked and (I assume) is soon to be completely broken off. I don't have any braces at the moment although I'm not real sure they would have helped. That being said, does anyone know of a guard or brace that could possibly prevent the tab from completely breaking off? I was thinking of stop drilling the crack and throwing a set of braces on and all would be good... hopefully.

Any ideas?

Just put a bead of weld along it, it will make the tab much stronger. While you are at it, run a bead on the other radiator as well to keep it from cracking in the same spot.

I don't know how to weld nor do I have access to a welder. Are you talking about something like JB Weld? If not, I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try it.

I don't know how to weld nor do I have access to a welder. Are you talking about something like JB Weld? If not, I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try it.

Take it to a shop that knows how to weld. It would only take a second for them to do it and it couldn't cost more than a few dollars.

i have one broke tab and one cracked tab. (both bolt to the lower shroud) jb weld might possibly work, but I don't really worry about mine. Yamaha's tabs are so flimsy it's a joke. If they made the tabs stronger they'd have to beef up the radiators as well.

even without the support of the tabs, the shrouds are pretty rigid and dont "flap"

Good to know. I may try JBWeld, although I'm not too sure how it holds up to heat and/or impact.

Thanks again.

It's supposed to be the other way around, believe it or not. The shrouds are supposed to support the radiators by bracing them from swinging fore and aft.

Actually the two components form a triangle that is mutually supportive. They should fit together without any built-in tension or pressure on either part. If they're under any strain, you should try to adjust it out, if possible.

It's supposed to be the other way around, believe it or not. The shrouds are supposed to support the radiators by bracing them from swinging fore and aft.

Actually the two components form a triangle that is mutually supportive. They should fit together without any built-in tension or pressure on either part. If they're under any strain, you should try to adjust it out, if possible.

Trying to straighten out the tab (after one too many tip overs) is how it cracked. This is why I was curious about some radiator braces and if they would take on the lions share of the support.

They definitely add to it. From what I've seen, the Works Connection (for the '06 and newer) or Devols look the strongest. They take two slightly different approaches to the problem, and the Devol also provides protection from frontal impact by stones, etc.

Are you talking about the new 'cages' from WC? I've seen those and they look good. I wasn't sure about the mounting though. I have run the older style WC braces in the past, but for some reason haven't ran them on a bike in a few years.

As far as the Devols go, those things are beefy (pretty dang ugly as well, though not as ugly as a bent radiator). The design up front appears to block quite a bit of the airflow. Maybe not, but down here in Florida during the summer, that can be a bad thing.

I just put the Works Cages on my 07 and they fit great. I also have a 3.1 IMS and no problems. Also, you have to drain the coolant to install. You do have to trim the plastic fins but it is not that big of a deal with a utility knife. I like the fact that you can still use air fins versus Devols. I had Devols on my 05CRF450 and they were bullet proof but you can't run the stock fins. I don't think there is a cooling issue with Devol's as well. The WC braces are worthless but the cages look like it will do the job - hope I don't get to test them.

T-Diddy

I am a machinist that used to work in a fabrication/machine shop, now just machining. Do you know how much stuff I have had to repair/replace because people covered it in JBWeld? They should license that stuff, and only sell it to people that know what its for. Don't use it. Fix it right. I've seen engines that blew up because someone tried to fix a broken cam chain tensioner with JB. I've seen ears broken off of transmissions on Caterpillars that were JB Welded back on. I've seen cam towers JB Welded into place because the screw holes were stripped. Don't become one of those stories, "You won't believe what some guy brought into the shop today, covered with JB Weld!!!"

Seriously, fix it right, fix it once.

I am a machinist that used to work in a fabrication/machine shop, now just machining. Do you know how much stuff I have had to repair/replace because people covered it in JBWeld? They should license that stuff, and only sell it to people that know what its for. Don't use it. Fix it right. I've seen engines that blew up because someone tried to fix a broken cam chain tensioner with JB. I've seen ears broken off of transmissions on Caterpillars that were JB Welded back on. I've seen cam towers JB Welded into place because the screw holes were stripped. Don't become one of those stories, "You won't believe what some guy brought into the shop today, covered with JB Weld!!!"

Seriously, fix it right, fix it once.

LOL. I'm sure your stories are great. Every profession has their poster children.

I am all for the 'one and done' technique but I figured these tabs would be ok for a little JB Weld. You're right though. I should definitely get them welded properly, it's just tough finding a small machine shop that can handle a job like this for a reasonable price. I had a heck of a time trying to find someone to bead blast my case covers a while ago.

Any one know of any shops in the greater Tampa area?