Help - Oil Quantity Question

4 replies to this topic
  • Miotch

Posted July 03, 2008 - 05:37 AM

Can anyone tell me the oil quantity for my '07 WR450? 1qt? 1.2? What amount with and without the filter change?

I think my buddy's wife put my manual into long term storage or something. On that note, anyone know where I can buy a new manual?

• msgbean

Posted July 03, 2008 - 07:35 AM

According to the manual:

Oil change 1 qt.
Oil and filter change 1.06 qt.
Total amount 1.27 qt.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • drtbk4ever

Posted July 03, 2008 - 07:41 AM

Can anyone tell me the oil quantity for my '07 WR450? 1qt? 1.2? What amount with and without the filter change?

I think my buddy's wife put my manual into long term storage or something. On that note, anyone know where I can buy a new manual?

Maybe try using the SEARCH function. Both of your questions have been answered many many times. :thumbsup:

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted July 03, 2008 - 07:49 AM

There is a downloadable owners/service manual at the top of this forum in the sticky section. It's identical to the one Yamaha gives you.

I found that if both plugs are pulled, dipstick cap off or loose, the bike allowed to drain completely (with both plugs off I leaned the bike from side to side a few times to get out as much as I could), and a filter change, the manual was almost spot on. I add exactly a quart, run the bike a couple of minutes, and then top off with just a little extra to get midway up the diptick (not screwed down).

*** Has anyone noticed that the oil that drains from one drain plug seems to be a little cleaner than the oil from the other side? I thought I was imagining it, but am quite sure the drain plug on the right (rear) side of the bike spit out cleaner oil.

• grayracer513

Posted July 03, 2008 - 08:29 AM

I found that if both plugs are pulled, dipstick cap off or loose, the bike allowed to drain completely (with both plugs off I leaned the bike from side to side a few times to get out as much as I could), and a filter change, the manual was almost spot on. I add exactly a quart, run the bike a couple of minutes, and then top off with just a little extra to get midway up the diptick (not screwed down).

The dip stick removal is crucial. Nothing will drain from the oil tank section (left front plug) unless you do this. With both mine, just as OL says, I service the filter with each oil change, and when refilling, I dump in one full quart, then add 75cc. It's always perfect.

In theory, the oil coming from the left front plug should be cleaner than the oil from the right rear, as the latter is unfiltered sump/gearbox oil, while the former is filtered feed oil from the tank.

Incidentally, most of you with any year WR will have by now noticed that the threads on the lower oil filter cover bolt drag a lot, and tend to be easily damaged or stripped. That's due to someone's brilliant idea of using this bolt hole to drain the filter well back into the crankcase (another brilliant concept). This problem can be very simply eliminated permanently, and the suspect bolt will thereafter behave like any other normal threaded fastener.

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=634724

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.