2003 YZ450 quietest exhaust w/o killing power?

2 replies to this topic
  • thealexdexter

Posted July 02, 2008 - 08:56 AM

Can't believe I'm asking this generic of a question...I know better but I feel compelled. Don't flame too much...

I have a completely stock (and nearly new) 03 450 except the Thunder Alley slip on w/ sparky. I love the sound and hard-hitting power but absolutely hate the noise. Stock exhaust was a fine setup too..again way too loud. I've tried the TA quiet insert but it destroyed the power, so I'm now in the market for a slip on, or stock muffler insert, or full system with USFS aproved spark arrestor.

I want it fully legal in Washington State, which I think is 98Db and I don't want to lose any power or drastically shift the power band around. As I said I like the "savage beast" power of the 03 engines.

I've searched around the forum but there is not good, or recent, info that is easily found on the 03 motors. I found the dirtrider.com shootout, but all of those pipes are 103dB. Anyone have specific experience with the 03?

Please only respond if you have experience with an 03 450 as they have very different motors than other years.

Think of the small woodland creatures that will benefit from your wisdom and helping me shut the :thumbsup: thing up!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted July 02, 2008 - 11:12 AM

Thunder Alley pipes are the loudest pipes made......anything will be better than this. You should post this over on the WR side - they have figured out ways to keep squirrels from hearing bikes

• grayracer513

Posted July 02, 2008 - 11:13 AM

DRD stainless systems are built to a target point of the AMA 99db limit, and are said to pass that at 97-98 with fresh repacking. Sparkys can be added for $15. They are a performance exhaust, and will do anything but kill the power, even though they are vastly quieter than a Thunder Alley.

If that's not quiet enough, an FMF Q4 may be what you want. It won't add any power, but you won't lose any either, and they are quieter.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.